Author Topic: t35 engine  (Read 6100 times)

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
t35 engine
« on: 24 Aug 2005 at 09:07 »
does anyone know if the Mk 1 model t35 barrels are repairable
these barrels are much thinner in wall section than the later Mk series and i dont think there is enough meat in them to even re sleeve
 i understand they don't make as standard, oversize pistons or rings, so i am considering getting the bores electrofused and then re bored, but this is an expensive exercise or i am going to hone them and get pistons made to suit slightly oversize also an expensive exercise
Thanks Trevor

Offline aggettd

Re: t35 engine
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2005 at 10:49 »
Trevor:

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but my T35 came to me with +.030 oversize pistons. They are Hepolite. Consequently I assume that at least some overboring is acceptable on the T35 cylinders. Tonight I'll measure the cylinder bores and get back with you. It may give you some comfort with respect to a couple of thou skim.

David A.

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2005 at 13:04 »
does anyone know if the Mk 1 model t35 barrels are repairable
these barrels are much thinner in wall section than the later Mk series and i dont think there is enough meat in them to even re sleeve

Trevor,
I had the cylinders bored o/s and sleeved on my original T35 back in the 1950's - not sure how much was bored out but I remember well that it was a disaster! - the original cylinder wall beneath the bolt flange where they project into the crank case finished up being very thin - after a very short time the cylinders cracked around the flange bolts rendering them u/s, as you can imagine.
Alwyn
Global Mod.
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline aggettd

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2005 at 22:52 »
I just checked the bores in my T35. They are 2.427 inches. That's .033 over stock. Presumably it was a 30 thou overbore with 3 thou wear. Alwyn mentions a bore and resleeve. Does that mean the cylinders had already been taken out to the max. at 50 thou, and needed to be resleeved and bored, in order to bring it back to stock? If your cylinders are only at stock I would hope 10, 20 or 30 thou overbore wouldn't condemn the barrels, nor require a resleeve.