Author Topic: Cutaway Mark 5 For Sale  (Read 255 times)

Offline Red

Cutaway Mark 5 For Sale
« on: 09 Mar 2020 at 09:14 »
Hi All

This is my 4th attempt at trying to post this message with photos. To avoid any further waste of my time I will post the message and put the photos on a seperate posting and hope that will work. The Club has received the email below and if anyone is interested then please contact the auctioneers direct.

Quote from: Richard Bromell, Charterhouse Ltd
I thought you (and fellow club members) might be interested to hear we have dragged this Douglas cutaway out of a Cornish barn, images as attached.
It is entered into our auction, without reserve, on Wednesday 6th May being held at The Haynes International Motor Museum, Sparkford, Somerset.
The family of the deceased estate are trying to find a letter relating the bike and which show it was exhibited at.
If you would like any further information let me know.
Kind regards
Richard

Richard Bromell ASFAV
   Director

THE LONG STREET SALEROOMS, SHERBORNE, DORSET, DT9 3BS
    01935 812277
    www.charterhouse-auction.com

« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2020 at 20:19 by Dave »

Offline Red

Re: Cutaway Mark 5 For Sale
« Reply #1 on: 09 Mar 2020 at 09:26 »
Sorry I have given up trying to load the photos after 6 attempts. If anyone would like the photos then please email me at secretary@douglasmcc.co.uk

Roy

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 09 Mar 2020 at 14:57 »
Roy,

Email the images to photos@douglasmotorcycles.net and I will see that they are attached to the post.

-Doug

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 09 Mar 2020 at 20:19 »
Photos added to first post above.

Offline Red

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2020 at 09:12 »
Dave
Thanks for adding the photos. I don't know what I was doing wrong.

Roy

Offline RegH

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2020 at 11:52 »
Hi All,
A photo of this cutaway Mark 5 model can be found in the book by Harold Briercliffe and Eric Brockway, 'The Illustrated History of Douglas Motorcycles' published by Haynes Publishing Group of Yeovil, Somerset in 1991. The description attached to the photo on page 80 states the sectioned model formed part of a window display at Whitby's of Acton, a West London dealer long associated with the marque.  It is shown with the lower frame firmly anchored to a base with both front and rear wheels being operated (electrically?) by eccentrics that allowed the front and rear suspension arrangements to be seen in action. Not sure if the rear wheel rotation caused engine and gearbox to rotate. It would certainly have been a very eye catching display. I sincerely hope the new owner can get this model fully restored and operational. It deserves to be saved.
Reg

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2020 at 18:00 »
Quote from: Roy
... I don't know what I was doing wrong.

You probably weren't doing anything wrong, Roy. We have had problems with attachments working elsewhere. I will test this lot again and see if the problem can be duplicated.
But if ever you have trouble getting images to attach, just email them to photos@douglasmotorcycles.net. If any kind of error message appears, include that in your email and it might give us a clue.

Dave