Author Topic: Buzzie and her DT5 engine gets ready to go racing!  (Read 267 times)

Offline Buzzie

If you have been following the thread (https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=7270.0   I started about DT5/SW5 engines on here will know that I am restoring an early 500cc racing car called Buzzie which was built in 1947 and powered by a Douglas DT5 Engine. The story of how I got on, with a tremendous amount of help from members of this forum, turning a pile of miscellaneous parts into a complete and almost working engine engine is described in great detail in the above thread. However getting the engine running required it to be installed in the car. However that is easier said than done as the installation kit had to be fabricated and fettled before that could happen. I quickly realised this work was beyond me, so I took up Ewen Sergisons offer to carry this work out for me at AVIT, his preparation firm,

Just after Christmas I received an Invitation from Goodwood to race Buzzie at Goodwood at the Members Meeting at this famous old British track at end of March! A rare opportunity for a "500"! All hands to the pumps then!

So yesterday I went up to AVIT in Doncaster to see progress on installing the Douglas engine. There has been a great deal of progress as you can see in the attached pictures! You can see the Duggie engine mounted behind the driver and under the fuel and oil tanks. The drive chains to the Norton gearbox and then to the back wheels can also be see.

I sat in the car to check fitting etc and all the controls are working fine, the brakes and gear change linkages are installed and the steering is sorthed too. We have six weeks until the race meeting. It will be tight but Ewen is confident we'll be ready.....
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2020 at 16:53 by Buzzie »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Buzzie and her DT5 engine gets ready to go racing!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2020 at 15:59 »
Wow, the engine sure is buried down in there! Would not have though possible with such a small car. Looking at the period photos, it would seem there were several iterations of fuel tank and rear enclosure over its time. Good luck!

-Doug

Offline Buzzie

Re: Buzzie and her DT5 engine gets ready to go racing!
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2020 at 11:29 »
Hi Doug

Yes the engine is low down. One of the few advantages of the DT engine over the more modern British singles (JAP, Norton etc) is it does have a low centre of gravity, a good advantage to reduce weight transfer on cornering. Probably (!) wont quite offset the lack of power and fragility of the Dougie engine. :D

Most of the pictures of Buzzie show it competing in hill climbs, and the tank is fairly small. But that tiny tank wouldnt do many laps of Silverstone. The tank on Buzzie now also has an oil compartment included, as the Douglas motorbikes did.

Looks like we'll be trying to start the engine before not too long. Stay tuned and cross your fingers for us!

Douglas