Author Topic: Emusified oil.  (Read 243 times)

Offline phil1

Emusified oil.
« on: 13 Feb 2020 at 09:07 »
Hi all
          The other day I thought  after a couple of  thousand miles after my rebuild on my mk.v I might do a quick health check, and undo a few screws as you do! and have a look inside the timing case, as luck would have it all appeared well every thing that should fly round did, but to my surprise what was all that frothy coffee in the top of the case! To my mind it can only be a mix of condensation and good old Morrison 20/50, so a good mop out and back together again with the intention that I really must do a few more miles on the clock. phil1.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Emusified oil.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2020 at 15:17 »
Hi Phil,
            If you have emulsified oil in the timing chest, it would suggest that you are doing too many short trips or not getting the engine hot enough to dry out the moisture! It also begs the question - "Have you fitted an auxiliary breather?" If you have, and you have blocked off the original breather, then the timing chest may not be 'breathing' properly - hence the build up of condensation. Your oil may also be contributing to the problem! Do you remember the old, green Duckham's Q ? Erroneously, it earned a reputation for reduced consumption, but the Scandinavians found that it had a higher capacity for absorbing water, so the total volume didn't reduce as much!!

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline phil1

Re: Emusified oil.
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2020 at 07:37 »
Hi Eddie.
               Thanks for your valued input re emulsified oil, the engine breather is of the standard gauze open type, but as you say I am often only doing very short runs and not fully heating up the hole engine block, I guess I will just have to change my habits. Happy Riding Phil.