Author Topic: 1915 clutchless 2 speed gear change technique  (Read 1565 times)

Offline MickTess

1915 clutchless 2 speed gear change technique
« on: 03 Feb 2020 at 03:59 »
Hi all, new to this very early machinery and I'm trying to make sure I treat the gearbox gently but correctly in use, can you tell me how to make the gear changes as smooth as possible on my little 1915 350?

I assume once I've bumped her off in low range and am tootling along, I back both the advance/retard and throttle off, select high range and resume normal lever settings? Or should I slide her into neutral with short gap between changes to and up. Is it "normal" for the old girl to give a bit of a jolt when it engages?

I've gathered you don't change back to low range unless you are pretty well coming to a stop.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: 1915 clutchless 2 speed gear change technique
« Reply #1 on: 03 Feb 2020 at 04:31 »
Hi Mick
You are pretty much on the right track, but you don't need to retard the spark to change up, and you pull the valve lifter in as you would a clutch if it had one. And yes you momentarily put it into neutral before selecting high gear. You may find you need to select low from time to time to get up a hill also, but in normal running not at all once you're on the move.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline MickTess

« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb 2020 at 06:31 »
Ah, so glad I've got it close to correct technique - now I just need time/place to practise, not really easy in a suburb environment;)
Thanks Graeme - hope to do a national rally one day.

Offline Black Sheep

« Reply #3 on: 04 Feb 2020 at 12:53 »
I leave the ignition fully advanced. For changing up, slip it into neutral, pull in the valve lifter and when the engine is just about to stall, ease the gear into high. Should be no jolt.
For changing down, ease the throttle back a bit and ease the gear into neutral. The engine revs should rise just enough for you to gently feel the gear lever into low then off you go.
Note the use of the words ease, gently and feel. All quite important. 
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2020 at 06:12 by Black Sheep »

Offline veikko1

« Reply #4 on: 04 Feb 2020 at 17:57 »
Very interesting discussion. Thanks from advices Graeme, and Black Sheep!
Regards Veikko1