Author Topic: EW specs  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Raycycled

EW specs
« on: 20 Jan 2020 at 18:28 »
Morning All, So going through all my bits and trying to figure out exactly what I have, it seems I'm only missing headlight maggy and stands, But my question to the group is , What Exactly is an EW? What year was the run and at what point were they electric light and horn, as mine has a Generator set up,
 Ray

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Re: EW specs
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2020 at 21:06 »
Hi Ray,

Best to start with engine, frame and gearbox number, and work from there. https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/aa-files/html/identify-part2/vintage4.8.htm

Leon

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2020 at 21:06 »
The attachments in the thread here (one below this one, as of now) about EW kneepads also includes
info on the factory optional electric generator for the EW, which looks to have cost an extra 7 quid something.
 (which was quite a lot in its day, the bike cost ~41 pounds something).
You see quite a sprinkling of EW's with the generator, so some owners weren't adverse to spending the extra.

From the discussions there it would seem the EW came out for 1926, and continued on for 1927.
After that it became another name, although the basic bike still looked very similar.

There was also an electric generator for the 2 & 3/4 model on fleabay recently, timing covers, gear(s) and genny.
At a suitable hefty modern day price (~$1000), not sure if it was factory or aftermarket.

Illuminating stuff....

Link added - Dave 21 Jan
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2020 at 23:15 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2020 at 23:16 »
Extracts from attachment referred to above.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2020 at 02:27 »
Ray,

The option for electric lighting was designed into the EW350 right from the beginning. An alternate timing cover was utilized that carried a BTH PA series pancake dyno.

The 350EW came out in late 1925. There seemed to be plenty about by September that year and reported being used in events. But generally 1926 is considered their debut. They had a number of problems; mainly related to the oiling system loosing prime and having been built down to a 200 lb weight limit to be eligible for reduced road tax. Over time these were addressed

In 1927 the frame and transmission mounting was redesigned to be more robust. (The 600EW was also introduced)

This continued into 1928 unchanged,designated as the A28. However it was joined by the B28, which was much the same but instead of blind cylinders had detachable heads. They were not plate heads; that would come later. The C28 was a B28 with aluminum rather than cast iron pistons. Aluminum pistons had been available since 1926 in the Deluxe (or Sports) version of the EW.

The now dated flat tank was last offered in 1929 as the A29. Certainly to use up old inventory. It was being superseded by a 350EW with the engine sitting on a oil sump and a frame with a saddle tank; the B29. Was this the end of the 350EW? Maybe, maybe not.

These saddle tank, sumped EWs carried on into 1930 as the L3 and H3. The H3 was a slightly heavier version with larger tires intended for touring or Colonial markets.

But the 350EW 'Sports' was back in 1931 as the A31. Essentially the detachable head engine with a stylish saddle tank. The sump model was carried on more year as the B31.

Little change for 1932 other than the A31 (now A32) also being known as the Terrier. The sumps were gone and the B32 became a touring version of the B32. It did not get a doggie name.

1933. Factory bankrupt and nill output. Only a few 600cc models produced apparently. So was this finally the end of the 350EW? Maybe, maybe not.

1934, Douglas are back with a full and even expanded model range. The A32 is back with the only significant difference in that the engine now has plate cylinder heads and the headlamp had 4-brace mounting (rather than archaic headlamp irons). Now called the model Y1. There is also a model Y (250cc) and Y2 (500cc) that we will not consider as EWs, though they were basically the machine, built on the 350cc crankcase with different sized barrels and heads.

Carried forward into 1935 as the model 5Y1. Now with a more bulbous saddle tank in keeping with the big twins and named "Cotswold" and two frame tubes passing under the engine in conformance with the big twins. The engine now clamps to the frame tubes, like the transmission since 1927.

Carried forward to 1937 essentially unchanged except the catalog illustration shows a reversion to the previous style saddle tank. Assuming any actually ever were fitted with the more bulbous tank in 1936. Some gas welding started to replace frame lugs.

Only the 600cc was listed for 1938, other than a two-stoke that may or may not have gone into limited production. So 1937 was the last of the 350cc models. Given the minor changes from year to year, it is difficult to say when it ceased to be 'The EW' and became something else; and the threshold is subjective. Would it be when they altered the frame. When it lost the flat tank? Acquired detachable heads or when it changed to plate heads? When they gave it a new model name?

Nor was the 350EW influence limited to the 350cc models. After a diversion with the Dixon inspired S6 big twin models from 1930-33, and 1934-35 without the oil sump, the much simpler 500cc Blue Chief engine was introduced in 1935. This was essentially a scaled up Cotswold motor. It was a little ahead of its time in using aluminum for the cylinders and heads, and essentially this same engine was used in the Endeavour. The aluminum caused problems and it and the Blue Chief and Endeavour were gone by 1936. To be replaced by the Aero models with iron barrels and heads. The Aero lasted to 1938, so a bit of the EW heritage lasted right up to WW2.

-Doug

Offline Raycycled

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2020 at 01:46 »
Great info thanks guys. Yes mine has detachable heads . If it’s not 40 deg here Saturday I’ll pull a few things out and get some pics . And check the numbers. We got the bike off our neighbor in the 70’s it was his brothers from new. Still have the last rego sticker for 1958. So I think it’s a pretty original bike some where I have slides of the bike as it came out of the shed. Ray