Author Topic: Amal 276 carb slide connection  (Read 2413 times)

Offline isettaman

Amal 276 carb slide connection
« on: 18 Jan 2020 at 13:45 »
Hi
I have problem with my Amal 276 slides for my 80 plus, I cannot see how the throttle cable connects to the slide. There is a space for the choke and central hole for the needle but where the cable should go, there is a small hole with a hollow nut screwed into it. I can’t see any logical way of connection other than passing the cable through and then putting a nipple on the end.
Any advice gratefully received.
Dave

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
Re: Amal 276 carb slide connection
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2020 at 15:18 »
Dave,

I have never seen such an Amal slide before.
I think the only way to fit a cable is the way you have written in your question, but is it really safe to fit it with a srew (Loctite?)?
I have no 276 carbs on my 90+, it runs on Bowden carbs so I can not compare.

Michael

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2020 at 15:25 »
Dave,
          It looks as if your slides have been modified so that the cable attachment is the same as used on Amal GP carbs. The 'hollow nut' is in fact a threaded nipple that should be soldered onto the end of the cable (in place of the normal 1/8 x1/8 sleeve nipple). This method eliminates the chance of the nipple getting dislodged from it's seat in the slide (as can happen if the inner cable has been bent at some time).

Regards,
                 Eddie

P.S.  If you try to fit the 'hollow nut above a normal nipple, the nipple will probably land on the top of the choke block and prevent the slide from dropping fully.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2020 at 15:30 by eddie »

Offline isettaman

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2020 at 16:35 »
Thanks for your comments, Eddie.
It looks like you are correct but the slides haven’t been modified as far as I can see. The additional problem is that if the nut is soldered onto the end of the cable, it will not pass through the hole in the mixing chamber top so the adjuster and top etc would have to be slid onto the cable prior to soldering.
Dave

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2020 at 16:02 »
Dave,

if the thread side of the nut with has a bigger bore, so there is space to fit the nipple inside it. 

I think it is no modification on your slide, because there is no extra hole for the split pin to secure the cable for slipping out (like on the standard slide).

Michael

Offline isettaman

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2020 at 16:58 »
Hmmm
My thought is to cut a slice out of the nut so it can slip over the cable and secure the nipple end when screwed into the slide.
There is a hole in the choke block under the the nut so a small nipple would not catch on it.
Dave

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2020 at 14:41 »
Dave,

when there is enough space under the nut / choke block you can test to solder the nipple befor you have put on the nut on the cable; without slotted the nut.

Michael

Offline isettaman

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2020 at 23:34 »
I have now resolved the problem by giving the slides back to Ralph from whom I bought the bike in exchange for two new correct slides.
Thanks for your help.
Dave