Author Topic: EW350 Crankshaft Restoration  (Read 293 times)

Offline SteveTea

EW350 Crankshaft Restoration
« on: 29 Dec 2019 at 09:31 »
The restoration of my EW350 continues with the focus turning to the crank.  I have had it disassembled and cleaned and it is clear the oilways are full of sludge (probably the main cause of the damage to the big end pin as seen in the attached picture).  Does anyone have any hints or tips on clearing the oilways and in particular on the removal of the plugs in the centre portion of the crank as shown in the attached photos?  They appear to screw out but I have experience of taking bigger plugs out of cranks (Sunbeam S8) and they are not easy so are there any methods to ensure these tiny Douglas ones come out in one piece and preferably without resorting to harsh methods such as drilling?

Many thanks in advance for advice given.

Regards, Steve

Offline phil1

Re: EW350 Crankshaft Restoration
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2019 at 15:59 »
Hi Steve.
              From what I can see, you will need to clear those screw slots with a small 1"carborundum cutting disc on a Dremmel, you will cut the edges of the tapped holes a bit but no matter! Then you will need an impact screwdriver and bit to fit your slots as close as possible,  that would be my best option. Cheers Phil.     

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: EW350 Crankshaft Restoration
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2019 at 16:55 »
Steve,

Many do not have any slot remaining at all, being completely filed away when the plugs were fitted. For those I have welded a small nut to the head of the screw, and the intense heat seems to help loosen things. Then you fing out they are 7/32-33 thread or something equally proprietary. However if you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner tank, you could avoid having to remove the plugs. Separated down to the throws and the center wed, that should be sufficient for the ultrasonic bath to get the gunge out.

-Doug

motorcycle