Author Topic: 1931 T6 - Front Brake cable removal - Advice wanted  (Read 301 times)

Offline Alfonso

Hi
I have recently acquired a 1930 T6 and we are getting to know each other!!. The front brake is poor and I'm trying to improve it. I'm trying to remove the brake cable to oil it or replace it and cannot fathom where the bottom nipple is or how to get to it. The bottom end of the cable sits in an adjuster in a lug on the front fork and then the inner goes into a cylinder about 2 1/4" long at the top of the actuating rod. This appears to be spring loaded and can be pulled down revealing a sort length of inner cable.  I can see no sign of a nipple and am reluctant to try more force than I have already tried. Pictures I have see of other T6 Bikes have a much longer cylinder than the one on mine. The cylinder appears to have a hole drilled through it near the bottom and is filled with something or has a peg through it. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: 1931 T6 - Front Brake cable removal - Advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: 03 Dec 2019 at 20:41 »
Alfonso,

This is what is under the shroud, excluding the spring. If you slack off the adjuster entirely you should be able to reveal the top end of the brake rod and slip the brake cable nipple out of its recess.

-Doug

Offline Alfonso

Re: 1931 T6 - Front Brake cable removal - Advice wanted
« Reply #2 on: 04 Dec 2019 at 08:09 »
Many thanks. A picture is worth a 1000 words. Slack in the cable doesn't appear to help. The problem is I can't pull the shroud back far enough to reveal the socket the nipple slots into. I can't picture how the spring is located. I note that other pictures I have seen of T6's have a much longer shroud.
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2019 at 09:38 by Alfonso »

motorcycle