Author Topic: 1950 350 Bluebird MK4 for sale  (Read 8424 times)

Offline David Towe

1950 350 Bluebird MK4 for sale
« on: 13 Nov 2019 at 08:04 »
Admin please delete if not allowed. Hi gents, I have my late dad's 350 twin Bluebird MkiV for sale and I need help with the most appropriate place to advertise it. I had intended on restoring it but I simply don't have the time to invest in it. I'd like to see it go to a genuine enthusiast who would like to give me updates on their restoration efforts on this bike. Bikesales.com.au simply don't seem to cater for anything this rare.
The bike is located in Penrith in the western suburbs of Sydney, Australia (if this is a worldwide forum)
Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
Cheers
David
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2019 at 19:00 by David Towe »

Offline David Towe

Re: 1950 350 Bluebird MK4 for sale
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2019 at 08:17 »
You may have noticed I forgot to put a price in the ad. That's because I don't know what it's worth and am hoping for some guidance. I'm not looking for mega dollars but don't really know what I could expect to get for it. Lots of you have seen the post but no one so far has offered any suggestions or help. I'm in your hands gents. It starts and runs. There is some wear on the kick start gear as occasionally it will jump a tooth when starting it. Other than the missing pillion seat (I presume there should be one) it's pretty original. I have books and other paperwork that my dad gave to me and naturally all will go with the bike.

Offline Hampshirebiker

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2019 at 17:34 »
David, there was another fella from your way (Oz) selling one about a year ago. If you could find the thread it would help regarding price. In UK it might fetch about 3k, but I think prices are a bit softer in Australia. Good luck with the sale.
Dave.

Offline David Towe

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2019 at 07:29 »
Thanks Dave.

Offline Woody

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2019 at 19:06 »
Hi Dave,

We have been slowly selling off a collection of Mk series bikes over the last 6 years from our family collection.
These have all been located in South-East Queensland. The last one was sold off about 12 months ago and we will be keeping the rest.

Several have sold through word of mouth, one from this site, one at a swap meet, and the rest via online advertising.
Most interest has been from NSW and Victoria for these bikes but a couple have still sold to local buyers in Queensland.

Although potential buyers might find there way to Bikesales.com.au, in my experience everyone will still always check Gumtree/eBay and if you are creative with the wording of your ad the keywords used, the search parameters used by these services will see your ad pop up more frequently in their search lists.

In general the current economic climate in Australia is very flat for selling older bikes and from what I am seeing, there are not even many vintage and veteran bikes changing hands compared to 10 years ago. The post-war bikes like yours will still sell, but their values have taken a hit especially in the smaller engine sizes and you have to be patient as it can take 6-12 months to find a buyer.

In terms of pricing I have been surprised at the general lack of interest in the Mk4's compared to the older iterations of this bike, the T35 which can still attract buyers willing to pay $6500=$9000. Perhaps it is just the colour that puts many off I'm not sure. I have also found that in general 350cc bikes of this era are much harder to sell than 500-600cc bikes regardless of the breed.

One of our cleaner and better restored Mk4's was able to sell for over $6K but most others failed to generate any serious interest in this price range and have sold for around the $4000-$5000 range. This is for a running bike that has been restored to a good standard, but definitely not a concourse show bike condition.

Others might disagree but I would imagine for your bike in its current condition its current market value in Australia is likely to be around the $3000-$3500 range. That's not to say you won't find a buyer willing to pay more but it might also take a while to find them.

I hope you find this info both helpful and that it also proves to be conservative and you find someone willing to pay more.

Good luck with the sale.

Cheers,
W

Offline David Towe

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2019 at 22:51 »
Thanks for the info Domas and Woody. I appreciate it. I guess I'll have to be patient and keep refreshing the add post over the next few months to keep it in people's minds.
Cheers
David

Offline David Towe

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2019 at 06:02 »
Does anyone here know a Philip Hepner from Victoria? Apparently he's bought the bike but as it was listed on E-Bay as COD and I haven't seen him or any money yet I'm a little sceptical.
Also a Jamie from Windsor area.
Cheers
David

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2019 at 05:59 »
Phillip Hepner is a Douglas owner from Geelong I think

Offline David Towe

« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2019 at 08:14 »
I advertised it on E-Bay and Phillip Hepner has bought it via the by now button. He's picking it up on Monday. Thanks for all your help. Ride safely folks.

motorcycle