Author Topic: vokes oil filters  (Read 4280 times)

Offline geoffshobbies

vokes oil filters
« on: 18 Oct 2019 at 09:42 »
In Page 5 of the Mark series guide by John Holmes there is reference to VOKES OIL FILTER JPG.
Can anyone tell me how to access this?
A interested to know how filter is fitted on post war m/c s.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: vokes oil filters
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2019 at 17:29 »
The Vokes Oil Filter was an optional extra. It was mounted behind the RH cylinder on a steel pate that fitted on the upper and middle barrel studs. The awkward bit is drilling the front crankcase half for an extra pipe fitting so that the oil can be rerouted through external oil pipes via the filter before returning to the original vertical drilling that goes up to the front main bearing. Also, to complete the conversion, a blank has to be inserted in the original oil gallery to prevent oil bypassing the filter.
  Unless you already have one of these filters, it is unlikely that you will find one - they were not very common! When we were involved with the LDMCC spares, we contacted Vokes in the hope they may be able to supply some filter elements - they eventually rang back to say they couldn't find any reference to their filters on a Douglas!

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2019 at 18:52 »
Quote from: geoffshobbies
In Page 5 of the Mark series guide by John Holmes there is reference to VOKES OIL FILTER JPG.
Can anyone tell me how to access this?

I checked our files looking for this image but couldn't find any trace of it. I don't think it was included with the original manual we received back in 2007. Doug may know more regarding the updated version from 2013.

Dave

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2019 at 20:59 »
The post for John Holmes' "Mark Series Maintenance Guide" is here:

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=1864.msg6725#msg6725

And a direct link to the current latest edition (2012) PDF is here:

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/aa-files/documents/2016/Mark-Series-Maintenance-Guide-2012.pdf

The images are a the end of the document. The one for the Volkes oil filter is on page 40. Note this direct link will not update if a new version is posted.

-Doug