Author Topic: Identification of three Douglas motorcycles  (Read 16140 times)

Offline Alf

Identification of three Douglas motorcycles
« on: 19 Aug 2005 at 03:59 »
Fellow Members,

I seek your assistance to identify three Douglas Motorcycles owned and used in competition by my late father. He was a member of the Douglas Motor cycle club of NSW and the Fivedock M/C club in the early 1930s. These motorcycles were used in endurance trials, short circuit racing and the 1935 Bathurst races.

The first Douglas could be an EW 600. The fuel tank indicates it was later than 1927. My father was complimentary regarding the inlet manifold as the carby was somewhere above the crankcase and not prone to water ingestion. The cylinder barrels and heads appear to be one piece.

The second douglas was also a side valve 600 with separate heads and barrels. The carby was mounted vertically down with the air inlelt about wet sump level; as though designed to ingest dirt and water. He particularly liked the wet sump engine design.

The third Douglas was probably purchased about 1933/34. It was a 600 cc OHV dry sump engine. I have viewd a photo of the 500cc model. My father sold this bike in 1946 and I still remember the big chrome fuel tank, distinctive rocker boxes and external flywheel.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Regards Alf

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
Identification Douglas Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2005 at 04:22 »
Hello Alf and welcome to the forum,
Have you read through the topic 'Identifying old Douglas Motorcycles' on this forum site - if not, start here << https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/aa-files/html/identify-part1/veteran2.8.htm >>  - Here you will find what data you need to discover to enable you to determine the identification of your bikes - with that data you can return to the tables and attempt to identify your bikes yourself - if you require further assistance please post again - Doug, my co-moderator has an extensive library and knowledge of all marques of Douglas and will be pleased to help you. In the meantime we would love to have some photographs of your bikes - they sound very interesting - we would also like to hear more about the history related to them and of your late father - I'm sure you have plenty of tales to tell. Please send your photos to the address shown in this topic and, with your permission, we will add them to any information you may like to post about the individual bikes.
Alwyn
Site Mod.
Edit: Minor grammatical only.

Updated details for emailing photos - Dave, 11Feb2021
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2021 at 20:00 by Dave »
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
Photos
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2005 at 11:18 »
Hi all,
Alf has kindly sent in photos of the three bikes referred to in his post today (19/08/2005) as being previously owned and used by his late father during the 1930's. As he mentioned in his post he is seeking to positively identify the machines and we hope he will provide engine and frame numbers in due course - in the meantime we publish his photos and open up the discussion by asking members to offer their opinions of the id's of the bikes judged from the photos alone - we hope to be able to tell later who's right and who's wrong when full details pertaining to each machine is revealed.

Here are the photos provided by courtesy of Alf...

Bike 1.

Larger view HERE

Bike 2.

Large view HERE

Bike 3.

Larger view HERE

Post your opinions by replying to this post.
Alwyn
Site Mod.

Offline Dirt Track

Identification of photos
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2005 at 09:26 »
G'day all
Would the first photo be of an "E29" which is the 1929 600 SV model with saddle tank and the second photo be an "S6" which is the slightly later version.......?
Howard.
PS not sure about the third photo.......all my reference books are in storage!

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2005 at 04:57 »
Alf,

The first machine is an E29, first year for the saddle tank.  The engine was pretty much the same as the previous year E/F28, except for the Enots oil sight glass on the timing chest, rather than the built in Douglas sight glass (which really could not be viewed all that well when riding.)  The F29 was similar except it had foot-rests and sports (slightly dropped) handlebars, and I believe aluminum rather than cast iron pistons (the 1928 models were advertised so.)  An electric model, but the BTH four-pole dyno has been removed from the timing chest and a blank-off plate fitted in its place. 

The second is an S6 or derivative, of 1930-32 vintage.  I can not tell the various years apart, as they changed so little!  As with the E29, acetylene lighting has been fitted and the BTH dyno removed.

The last unfortunately is from a newspaper or magazine halftone picture, so the detail is not as good.  But good enough to tell it is a 1934 due to the lack of airbox on the timing cover. No sign of hand-shift, so the foot-change gearbox.  It has the Amal carburetor fitted (same as the S6) rather than the Douglas barrel carb (either could be fitted.)  1935 OW/OW1 reverted to an airbox, and while this on has some sort of box over the carb, I think it is just a shield.  But since it is said it was a 600, then it was the OW model.  I have a personal interest in the OW/OW1.  It is estimated about twenty five OW/OW1s were made over the two years, of which eight are known to have survived.  They have a very good turn of speed, using up many of the internal parts of the Dirt Track machines! 

-Doug

[edit 01Feb15. Change third machine from 1935 to 1934 due to lack of airbox. At time it was thought only 500cc machines in 1935 might have gotten the airbox, but since 2005 a 600cc OW1 from 1935 has turned up with airbox. So lack of airbox = 1934; precence of airbox = 1935. -Doug]
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2015 at 03:14 by Doug »

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2005 at 06:09 »
Well done Howard! - Doug supports your ID's!
Alwyn
Site Mod.