Author Topic: EW350  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
EW350
« on: 24 Sep 2019 at 05:32 »
One of our bike club members mentioned to me yesterday that he has a EW350 project that he will never get to. He wants to sell it. I know nothing more about it but if anyone is interested I could find his contact details. He has it in a shed near Mittagong south of Sydney.

Offline Stephan Henderson

Re: EW350
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2019 at 09:07 »
Hi Ian
I am new to the site, after being given an old barnfind of what beleive to be a ew350. It is missing quite a bit so I would be interested in the details of this bike if possible. I travel through that way once a week so would be keen if that is acceptable
I am  not sure of proticol but happy to provide my  contact details 0434336280 thanks so much Stephan

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2019 at 10:09 »
I will get his contact details at our next club meeting.

Offline Stephan Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2019 at 09:37 »
Thanks so much Ian

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2019 at 07:02 »
I talked with the guy today. Itís just been put on gumtree

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2019 at 07:37 »
Presumably this one: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bowral/motorcycles/vintage-douglas-ew350-motorcycle-project/1230632151

Looks like it was a reasonable thing before it was disassembled. As it lays, it might not be too difficult a restoration for an experienced restorer, but a lot of work for someone new to restoration. There-in lies the problem: the experienced restorer might be looking for something a bit more unusual than an EW, and the "pile of tiny pieces" is pretty daunting to the newbie.

Then there's the cost of purchase + restoration. New rims, tyres, tubes, and spokes, plus professional wheel-building if you can't do it yourself, would run to $1,000+ before you start on wheel bearings and brakes. Source and recondition a magneto maybe $600. Recondition motor, clutch and gearbox... Find the (weird Douglas) fasteners... Source and restore the correct carby... Paint and plate... Not to mention most of your spare time for a year or two.

Let's hope someone will take it on, because it would be a pretty little bike once the restoration is completed. Before paying the asking price I'd ask the seller to assemble it so I could see what's missing; when he declined I'd offer half the asking price!

Good luck buyers - at least there's plenty of expertise here if you need help.

Cheers

Leon

Offline roy

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2019 at 15:41 »
Just out of interest, do you "grues" think that the handlebars are from an EW?

motorcycle