Author Topic: Prop stands  (Read 4816 times)

Offline FRD454

Prop stands
« on: 21 Sep 2019 at 15:38 »
Has anyone any experience of fitting a prop (side) stand to a Mk 5 ?  Was it ever a factory option?

Offline andy1303

Re: Prop stands
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2019 at 19:39 »
I'm not sure about a factory option, but the LDMCC were selling prop stands to fit Mark series bikes.

BR

Andy

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2019 at 20:30 »
The LDMCC Spares scheme did offer side stands but these only fitted the Sports models with high level exhausts as the low level exhausts prevent the fitting of standard side stands. Several special side stands have been constructed by individual members. Details of their construction would be welcome on this Forum.
Chris. 

Offline Charlescs

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2019 at 21:46 »
Many years ago I fitted a then generally available propstand to the left lower crash bar (it had an integral clamp) of my Mk 5 and that worked fine. I'm not sure what make it was. The bike is just re-emerging after a 40 year rest; I hope the aforesaid stand will still be there. If so I'll add a picture. Charles CS

Offline Red

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2019 at 08:39 »
Don't know if this will help. I used a prop stand from an early Honda CBR 600 and made up a small triangulated plate out of 5mm steel which at one end is attached to the foot rest bolt and the other end is notched to locate under the footrest. Has been on my Mark 5 for a number of years and works well. Simple to fit and is easily removed to return the bike to its original condition.

Roy

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2019 at 13:04 »
Thanks Red
That looks like quite a neat & simple solution. I have seen a number of Mark machines over the years with home made or adapted prop/side stands but never close enough to observe quite how they were carried out.
Chris.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2019 at 13:36 »
Now if you had a recent copy of New Conrod you would know the answer...

Offline Red

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2019 at 17:09 »
To be precise page 9 of the May/June 2019 issue

Roy

Offline Charlescs

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2020 at 18:04 »
Did you sort out the prop stand?
If not I'll send photos of a standard generic one fitted onto the left crash bar of my Mark 5 that has worked well for many (50) years.
So of course these prop stands might not be still available - I think it was Wassell's. I see they still exist but supply trade only.
Charles CS

PS Anyone heard any more about manufacture of centre stands?

Offline isettaman

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2020 at 00:41 »
This looks interesting...........
https://www.vintele.co.uk/

Dave

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2020 at 07:39 »
How is it I can find copies of new con rods going back a decade but can I find  May/June 2019 ?
I can even remember the information was on a RH page
typical! can someone tell me what the stand came off of? I can work it out from there...

Offline DJS

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2020 at 08:28 »
Within the LDMCC post-war spares that I am currently sorting is a small supply of brand new universal prop stands designed to clamp around a 1” diameter tube.
I will post a photo later on today.

Best wishes,

David

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2020 at 09:17 »
Hi David
These standard prop stands were purchased with a view to them being suitable for Mark models but they were only suitable for Mark lll sports as they cannot be mounted in conjunction with exhaust pipes going down and under parallel with the bottom frame tubes. I made the prop stand for my Mark V using a slightly modified Honda stand which only cost me about £10.00 on ebay. It came complete with a switch and cable to plug in to the Honda system to warn if the stand was down when attempting to drive off. I had to remove this and saw off a part of the stand not needed. A steel triangular plate was made to mount it using the footrest mounting bolt. Chris.

Offline DJS

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2020 at 11:03 »
Thanks Chris, that’s really useful background info.

I’ll still dig the stands out later today, post up some pictures and await the deluge of orders from Mark 3 Sports owners!

Regards,

David

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2020 at 14:36 »
If they are of the two halves type I fitted one off the front engine through bolt with a strap that started at against the engine went over the frame tube round the exhaust and up to the nut on the outside of the frame.  It sounds complicated but with spacer removed and bolt withdrawn into engine it can be threaded into position the stand can bolt onto the outside of the strap the other loose clamp part is not required somewhere I have a picture

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2020 at 14:42 »

Offline DJS

« Reply #16 on: 01 Nov 2020 at 17:27 »
Attached is a photo of one of the universal prop stands that the club has.
Of note is that the clamp is serrated internally and users may wish to modify that prior to use.
I don’t currently have a price for these but if any LDMCC members are interested do let me know and I should be able to advise of cost by the end of the week.

Best wishes,

David