Author Topic: T35 Competition Model, Im new on this rare model  (Read 1067 times)

Offline douglas1947

T35 Competition Model, Im new on this rare model
« on: 28 Aug 2019 at 15:23 »
Hi,

I purchased lately a T35 Competition and would like to get some information:

1. There is no stand on the bike. I would like a sidestand; was there original a stand on front of the frame nearside? A photo will be very nice to make a reproduction.

2. Had the Comp a toolbox, can see a box on no picture.

3. I have to put on lights to get the bike road legal in Germany. I would like to get detachable lamp holders (like 80+/90+).

3. Are exaustpipes available 2-in-1?

Michael

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: T35 Competition Model, Im new on this rare model
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2019 at 15:51 »
Hello Michael,
                      Yes, the Competition model did have a side stand. Originally, there was a lug welded on the left hand frame tube just ahead of the front engine bolt. these were in a vulnerable place and were often cut off by those owners who used their bikes in trials.
  The comp also had a toolbox mounted on the rear mudguard stays - opposite side to the silencer. The toolbox was the same as that fitted on the Mark 3 Sports.
  About 20 years ago, I had 5 sets of exhaust pipes made By Technical Tubes of Ferndown, Dorset - there is a possibility they may still have the patterns to work from. The right hand pipe is basically the same as the Mark 3 Sports, but with a branch with a joint behind the dynamo. The left hand pipe turns in behind the dynamo to join the RH pipe.
   Doug Frost's book on the postwar Douglas has a couple of photos from the catalogue showing both sides of the Comp fitted with the full lighting set and toolbox. I will try to scan the page and post it here.

Regards,
                  Eddie.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2019 at 15:57 »
Michael,
              Attached are the photos from Doug Frost's Book.

Eddie.

Offline douglas1947

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2019 at 11:22 »
Hi Eddie,

thanks for the quick informations.
The picture are very helpfull.

Indeed, there is a small rest of welding. Is it wise to make a new stand at this place or would you prefer a sidestand on an other place of the frame?
Was the original stand, when unused, fixed with a clip? (photo)

I think a MK3 toolbox is hard to find.

There is a usable original exaust system on the bike, but the chrome is not perfect anymore.

I would like to do new paint work to the bike, exept the petrol tank, its in good condition.
The lamp should be a Lucas MU42 and MT110?

Michael

Offline Dawn

« Reply #4 on: 02 Sep 2019 at 12:44 »
Dave Wilson has a copy of the Mk 3 toolboxes for sale in the new conrod mag for club members.

Offline douglas1947

« Reply #5 on: 06 Sep 2019 at 14:03 »
Im making a sidestand like the one on showing on the picture send from Eddie.

Unfortunatly Technical Tubes of Ferndown can not help with new exaust pipes.

The engine / gearbox is out of the frame, the bike is dismantled now.

Michael

Offline douglas1947

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:55 »
Today I have separated the leading links from the fork for cleaning. The oil rubber seals have to renewed. There is a slight wear at the surfaces.
Is it necessary to regrind the surface?

Michael

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2019 at 11:46 »
Michael,
              You may not need to renew the seals or have the faces ground. When I rebuilt my Comp (back in 1977!), I had the same problem (and at that time, new seals were not available) so tried a dodge to get the bike mobile. I washed all the oil from the bearing parts and gave them a coat of Water Pump Grease (a very thick - almost solid grease) and then reassembled the forks and filled them with the normal oil. I expected the dodge to give me a few months of leak free operation - in fact, the forks are still leak free after over 25 years of trials use.

If you get the links machined, remember to get the same amount removed from the end of the pivot (as it's length is critical in keeping the working clearances correct).

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline douglas1947

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2019 at 16:53 »
Hi Eddie,

thanks for your reply. On one side the seal is worn to level zero and may have no contact to surface of the link. So Im not shure if  it is any friction and the heavy grease is enaugh to stop the oil.
Otherwise the idea sounds very good to do, even with new seals.

Unfortunately Technical Tubes can not remember to produce exaust pipes for a Comp Model. So I have no idea what to do. I have no experience in making exaust pipes.

I have started to rebuild the bike. The engine /gearbox is already back in the new black sprayed frame. The petrol tank (aluminium) had 2 small leaks. I try to stop it with epoxy to save the still good painting of it.

Next week the new rims will arrive; I have to bore the spoke holes by myself.

Michael

Michael

Offline douglas1947

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2019 at 17:37 »
Wheels are back in frame and fork, lamp stays are made.
The rear wheel is now of original 19" instead of 18". So the stays are too short. On pictures the stays are different; I would like to get informations  about the kind of the stays and the fixing of the alloy guard.

Michael

Offline douglas1947

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2019 at 17:44 »
I think the stay in the middle is round tube (1/2" dia), flat on top around (outside) the mudguard, with (2 srews) fixed on the mudguard.

The back stay is with handle and a bracket on inside of the mudguard?

Michael