Author Topic: MkV underslung pilot light lens  (Read 376 times)

Offline Pallijen15

MkV underslung pilot light lens
« on: 16 Jul 2019 at 19:12 »
Hi all, on my MkV the lens is secured in place by a u shaped spring clip. The pilot light bulb is a screw in type. The bulb holder  fits into the aperture in the lens but it  won't stay in place by itself. How is it kept in place? Any help appreciated, Paul J

Offline Hampshirebiker

Re: MkV underslung pilot light lens
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2019 at 21:35 »
I'm not entirely with you, but if the spring clips around the perimeter of the bulb holder are weak try silicone mastic; or similar.

Offline Pallijen15

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2019 at 08:10 »
Ok thanks, will use the silicone then. Must be the springs round the holder are weak. Just thought there might have been something  missing that keeps it in place. Or maybe there used to be a lip round the hole where it sits.

Offline Hampshirebiker

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2019 at 09:53 »
Glad I read it right. I had the same problem with the speedo & tacho lights falling out on my Triumph. Apart from renewing the holders, I can't think of another fix.

Offline Jonathan Hewitt

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2019 at 17:29 »
Good evening Paul,
The lens itself is held in with that clip .two little holes in the lens and then clipped against an upright fixed to the headlamp shell.   The pilot lamp is you say a screw in, do you mean a bayonet type with two little lugs like a houshold lamp ?
  The holder for this is on a plate aprx 5/8" wide fitted across the bottom of the headlamp shell and held down by the curvature of the shell and two small plates one each side of the shell. length of plate from memory 2"- 2.1/2 ".  I hope this helps but if you need a pic I can take one tomorrow, let me know.
   Regards
Jonathan

Offline Pallijen15

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2019 at 09:34 »
Hi Johnathan, the pilot light has one contact point and is a screw in, no lugs. Screws in to the bulb holder by external coarse threads on the base of the bulb. Some household bulbs are the same. I would appreciate a picture of the plate holder as, to me, the way it looks I don't think that the bulb in its holder would ever have been able to stay in place, even if the external tabs/springs of the holder have weakened. My email address is pallijen15@gmail.com.  Thanks, Paul J

Offline Jonathan Hewitt

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2019 at 18:28 »
Good evening Paul, today I tried to put my pilot lens back in and discovered that although there are two small holes for the wire clip the bent ends of the clip are too wide to fit in the space in the shell . the way round this is to use the void in the lens itself just inside of the holes. Hopefully the pics will be self explanatory for the bulb fixture.
Regards
Jonathan

Offline Pallijen15

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2019 at 11:44 »
Thanks Johnathan, that's a great help. I can make that with a flat piece of plate since my bulb holder is different to yours. My Matchless is exactly the same, underslung but is missing everything. Least I know what to look for now. Paul J

motorcycle