Author Topic: Rear Sprocket for a Dragonfly.  (Read 494 times)

Offline Sgtbiro

Rear Sprocket for a Dragonfly.
« on: 07 Jul 2019 at 14:15 »
Hi anyone out their got a rear sprocket for a dragonfly or know where i can get one from, the LDMCC has not got any so any info would be appreciated.

Cheers Kevin.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Rear Sprocket for a Dragonfly.
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2019 at 17:05 »
If it is for a late Dragonfly with British Hub wheels, the sprocket is a flat plate. They can be obtained from most bearing stockists - known as 'plate wheels' - then get an engineering firm to machine out the centre to suit your hub.
  If it is for an early Dragonfly, the sprocket is integral with the brake drum, so the old one will need machining off and a new ring welded on.

Regards, Eddie.

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2019 at 18:04 »
If it is for a late Dragonfly with British Hub wheels, the sprocket is a flat plate. They can be obtained from most bearing stockists - known as 'plate wheels' - then get an engineering firm to machine out the centre to suit your hub.
  If it is for an early Dragonfly, the sprocket is integral with the brake drum, so the old one will need machining off and a new ring welded on.

Regards, Eddie.

Hi Eddie thanks for the info mine is the early type with 51 teeth and is part of the break drum, can you recommend a sprocket that i can adapt
to use on my bike.

Regards Kevin..   

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2019 at 19:11 »
Hi Kevin,
               As I said previously - go to your local bearing stockist and ask for a 51 tooth steel plate wheel for 5/8 x 1/4 chain. Then take your brakedrum to a local engineering firm and get them to machine off the old sprocket, leaving the 5 'legs' that attach it to the drum. Then get them to machine out the centre of the plate wheel so that it fits on the 5 'legs'. Finally, get them to weld it into place.
  By leaving the 5 'legs' attached to the drum, the welding heat is less likely to distort the brakedrum.

Hope this makes sense,
  Regards, Eddie.

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #4 on: 07 Jul 2019 at 19:27 »
Hi Kevin,
               As I said previously - go to your local bearing stockist and ask for a 51 tooth steel plate wheel for 5/8 x 1/4 chain. Then take your brakedrum to a local engineering firm and get them to machine off the old sprocket, leaving the 5 'legs' that attach it to the drum. Then get them to machine out the centre of the plate wheel so that it fits on the 5 'legs'. Finally, get them to weld it into place.
  By leaving the 5 'legs' attached to the drum, the welding heat is less likely to distort the brakedrum.

Hope this makes sense,
  Regards, Eddie.

Thank you yes it makes sense i will look up my nearest bearing stockist.

Cheers kevin..