Author Topic: Dragonfly battery box.  (Read 574 times)

Offline Sgtbiro

Dragonfly battery box.
« on: 03 Jul 2019 at 21:44 »
Hi all i am looking for a battery box for my dragonfly any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Cheers Kevin..

Offline Bynorthsea

Re: Dragonfly battery box.
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2019 at 10:48 »
I have this if its what you need.

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2019 at 20:46 »
Hi thanks for the reply and photo its the box that fits into the part on the photo that i need.

Cheers Kevin..

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jul 2019 at 07:01 »
I think "dummy motorcycle battery case" will get you hundreds of hits
here is a lucas or exide one
https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/electrical-lighting/battery-charging/battrey-cases.html

Offline charlie weeks

« Reply #4 on: 06 Jul 2019 at 19:03 »
Hello

I have a toolbox, It is solid with no dents but is a bit scruffy. HOWEVER I would only SWAP it for a Miller red spot ammeter and it's bulb holder if you are interested.

Regards

Charlie

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #5 on: 07 Jul 2019 at 13:09 »
I think "dummy motorcycle battery case" will get you hundreds of hits
here is a lucas or exide one
https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/electrical-lighting/battery-charging/battrey-cases.html
Hi thanks for the info will have a look.
Cheers Kevin.

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #6 on: 07 Jul 2019 at 13:11 »
Hello

I have a toolbox, It is solid with no dents but is a bit scruffy. HOWEVER I would only SWAP it for a Miller red spot ammeter and it's bulb holder if you are interested.

Regards

Charlie
Hi sorry its the battery box i am after not the tool box but thank you for your reply.
Regards Kevin..

Offline charlie weeks

« Reply #7 on: 07 Jul 2019 at 17:08 »
Kevin

There is no battery box on a Dragonfly as such. There is however a Battery carrier part number SA 1658. Is this the part you want ?

Regards

Charlie

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #8 on: 07 Jul 2019 at 18:31 »
Kevin

There is no battery box on a Dragonfly as such. There is however a Battery carrier part number SA 1658. Is this the part you want ?

Regards

Charlie
i thought there was a box that the battery fits into on the carrier but not too sure.

Regards Kevin..

Offline andy1303

« Reply #9 on: 07 Jul 2019 at 19:08 »
Hi Kevin,

Is it possible you're confusing a battery box with that battery itself? I'm assuming that when the bikes were made the batteries were the whole bakelite (?) enclosure that sat in the battery frame. As battery technology changed they became more like the motorcycle ones we're more familiar with, but now you can buy the dummy battery enclosures and put your own battery inside, like https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/product-category/classic-bikes/agm-batteries-for-classics/

Some people run normal 6V motorcycle batteries and they clamp in the location fine, but obviously for originality a dummy enclosure with other battery inside looks better.

Hope this helps but I apologise if it just states the obvious. I'd be interested to know the correct Ah rating for a dragonfly battery if anyone knows.

Andy

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #10 on: 07 Jul 2019 at 22:13 »
Hi Kevin,

Is it possible you're confusing a battery box with that battery itself? I'm assuming that when the bikes were made the batteries were the whole bakelite (?) enclosure that sat in the battery frame. As battery technology changed they became more like the motorcycle ones we're more familiar with, but now you can buy the dummy battery enclosures and put your own battery inside, like https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/product-category/classic-bikes/agm-batteries-for-classics/

Some people run normal 6V motorcycle batteries and they clamp in the location fine, but obviously for originality a dummy enclosure with other battery inside looks better.

Hope this helps but I apologise if it just states the obvious. I'd be interested to know the correct Ah rating for a dragonfly battery if anyone knows.

Andy

Hi Andy thank you very much for your reply, that is were my confusion lies, i have only been going off photos of Dragonfly's and some seam to have a battery in the holder and some seam to have a battery in a box, but your explanation clarifies this  for me cheers.

Regards Kevin..   

Offline Roys rider

« Reply #11 on: 08 Jul 2019 at 20:09 »
Hi
Kevin has given you the information you need however I offer a slight variation. I had a suitable 'NOS' square battery which might have worked with some acid in it however I also had a new style gel battery which goes into one of the cases Kevin mentioned. The old style battery looks right with wires on the bike, however the new gel batt. is in the tool box with a decent fuse. Gel batteries are better than the old lead acids because they hold their charge much longer. I do put it into an empty battery case on the other 'fly.
Check out Paul Goff's website:
www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/
He sells both. I would also recommend his LED bulbs. Miller would have made them if the technology had been available in the 50s. I have one of his light boards in the rear light so I can have a stop light without a dual filament bulb fitting.
Peter

motorcycle