Author Topic: post-war clutch friction plate,or 'driven plate'.  (Read 330 times)

Offline kncken

post-war clutch friction plate,or 'driven plate'.
« on: 23 Apr 2019 at 06:42 »
Hello all.Can anybody recommend a firm who re-lines  friction-plates such as used on the post-war Douglas models,please?Yes,I am aware of the cork floor tile conversion carried out by many owners,thanks.Would anyone know the precise thickness of the plate in new condition,please?I'm guessing that a car-orientated firm is most likely the way to go due to the design of the Duggie clutch.Also it might be useful to know the specification of the original friction material.Thanks.

Offline Neville Heath

Re: post-war clutch friction plate,or 'driven plate'.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2019 at 08:41 »
Club spares sell the parts needed. See Sept/Oct 2016 Con Rod Magazine Spannerama for tips on how to do it.
Neville

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2019 at 10:29 »
The linings that the Club spares scheme stocked were made of a material called 'MZ Gold' - it is a woven material very much like the old Ferodo material. The 1st generation asbestos free linings were made of a grey composite material which gave off a fine powder that tended to jam the 6 pins through the Douglas flywheel - needless to say, we soon changed to the MZ Gold.
    From memory, each lining was 1/8" thick, so the complete drive plate had a total thickness of 5/16" (2 linings + the 1/16" thick plate).

Hope this helps,
                          Regards,
                                         Eddie.

Offline kncken

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2019 at 11:39 »
Thanks Neville and Eddie.That's very helpful,but do you think the full complement of springs are still needed with the later friction material,ie.six inner and six outer,or will just the six outers be sufficient as when using the cork lining?Thanks,Ken.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2019 at 13:48 »
Hi Ken,
            Yes, I think you will need the full compliment of springs. I fitted a pair of the MZ Gold linings in my Dragonfly to road test them prior to us stocking them in Club Spares. I only changed the linings and kept the original springs so that I could get a true comparison to the original linings. There was hardly any difference in the performance of the original linings and the new asbestos-free linings. They have since proved to be trouble-free, without any need to make any adjustments to the clutch cable for wear, bedding in, etc.

Regards,
                  Eddie.

Offline kncken

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2019 at 15:37 »
Thank you very much,Eddie,all the best ,Ken.