Author Topic: Veteran tank dimensions  (Read 2685 times)

Online Rob

Veteran tank dimensions
« on: 24 Mar 2019 at 02:57 »
I want to get a veteran tank manufactured for my 1914 framed machine. However I don't have an old tank for a guide, but I do have some TS tanks I can use for donor components and fittings and as a basic guide for the shape.

If possible could someone please confirm or otherwise the following for me.

Having read the posts regarding veteran tanks (6 1/2 inches wide and 3 1/2 inches deep, make sure there is clearance to fit it within the frame tubes etc.) and looking at photographs am I safe to assume that following is basically correct relative to a TS tank:-

1) the bottom of tank fuel outlets (fuel and drain) are the same.
2) the location of the Fuel filler cap is the same but the opposite side. (Mirror image.)
3) the oil filler cap is on the opposite side but moved forward into a location that is approximately 60 mm forward of the frame support.
4) the oil hand pump is moved approximately 20 mm forward from where it is located on the TS.
5) the drip feed regulator is just forward on the front frame support in line with the frame support screw.
6) the tube needed for the oil pipe to the engine is located mid point between the regulator and the top frame tube and is the same diametre as the gear shift tube.

Thanks

Rob

Offline carl denton

Re: Veteran tank dimensions
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2019 at 12:29 »
hi rob
they are so different its not funny , I have a 1915 and a 1918 ex army bike and both tanks are the same but different . I will have a bit of free time on Tuesday and will make some measurements for you .

yours carl.   

Offline GlennMckenzie

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2019 at 04:08 »
Hi Rob,

Hutch has an original Veteran Tank that has been flattened out. I made exact patterns from it for my Veteran Tank.
I you ask him nicely he may let you trace out some thin Cardboard patterns.

Cheers Glenn

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2019 at 05:05 »
Rob and Glenn,

PM received and reply sent.

-Ian

Online Rob

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2020 at 05:42 »
I have a veteran tank being fabricated and need the measurement for radius of the bend to form the square edges. I understand that the radius is considerably tighter than the regular 1920's tank which I have measured to be approximately 1/4". Can anyone tell me what a veteran tank edge radius should be?
Thanks

Rob

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2020 at 07:18 »
Rob,
         I have made several veteran tanks and the radius obtained from a standard folder is about as close as you will get to the original. I have always made my tanks from .028" thick tin plate (the gauge, of course, affects the radius obtained), and the whole assembly is then soft soldered.

Hope this helps,
                             Eddie.

Online Rob

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2020 at 08:40 »
Eddie,

thanks. That will help.

Rob

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2020 at 22:07 »
Rob,

I asked Tony S. for some info. on 2 3/4hp tanks and he kindly measured the bend on the top edge on his original veteran 2 3/4 hp tank with radius gauges and found it to be about 2.75mm. He noted that there was a slightly sharper curve along the soldered edges.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Hutch