Author Topic: The early Douglas Racers....photos.  (Read 4585 times)

Offline Dirt Track

The early Douglas Racers....photos.
« on: 13 Aug 2005 at 06:46 »
G'day All
I find it very frustrating trying to find good early photographs of the early 1920's racers, from the S1 & S2 types through the RA's,TT and so on upto the DT models. I wonder if we could collectifely put together a good few early photos or at least list where such photos are available on the net for those that may be interested.
I recently copied about 95 very early Australian "Speedway" programmes for a chap in Adelaide who is a very keen enthusiast of the early history of Australian Speedway, whilst I was copying these programmes I noticed just how many of the early race entrants (and winners) were Douglas mounted! These programmes date from 1925 and its almost comical to read what some of the riders were hoping to win on....8HP & 10HP Harleys, 12HP Indians (Chiefs I guess), 5HP Scouts, 3 1/2HP SV Triumphs, 6HP JAP (that would have to be a twin) 2 3/4HP SV BSA, 2 3/4HP SV Humber, 5HP MAG (another V twin) and one joker even tried a 2 3/4HP SV Douglas. One rider had a 8HP BEPX (?)
Of course mixed in with all these hopefuls was a host of fast machines...Bigports, OHV HD's etc......is it any wonder the OHV Douglas's won most of the time!
Howard.

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Co-Founder
  • Location: Late of Encounter Bay, South Coast, South Australia
Re: The early Douglas Racers....photos.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2005 at 07:58 »
Quote from: Dirt Track
...cut.... whilst I was copying these programmes I noticed just how many of the early race entrants (and winners) were Douglas mounted! ...cut....is it any wonder the OHV Douglas's won most of the time!Howard.

A good idea Howard! We could start it with the photos you refer to if you would care to send them to the address shown in this topic - I have a few scattered among my own files and I'm sure other members likewise would have a fair collection - if any members would like to contribute their photos of Dougie racers and any history related to them, I will happily put together a gallery of classic Dougie racers for all to enjoy.
Alwyn
Site Mod

Updated details for emailing photos - Dave, 11Feb2021
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2021 at 19:34 by Dave »
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline Dirt Track

The early Douglas Racers....photos.
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2005 at 01:09 »
G'day all
Thanks for that Alwyn.....I agree the members should have quite a good selection hopefully!
I will start things off with some photos of a friends machine here in Tasmania. Will send photos to the email address shown.....I worn you whilst I can take good digital photos I have not yet learnt how to adjust the size of the photos....so if you can you may like to reduce them for use on the site....hence I will send one photo at a time.
I recently bought the remains of another couple of "Dirt Track" type early racers, as stated before most of the machines that have come out of the woodwork in Sydney in the last 3 years have been "composite" bikes...that is a mix of OHV models. These bikes were kept on the track long after they were competitive (and worn out) by swapping parts from other machines. Records show that particularly in the first years of speedway in Australia the models adapted for the sport were S1's, RA's and OB's together with IOM jobs.
It goes without saying that if anyone has any parts for these bikes please email me direct at   flattank@bigpond.com
Howard.

motorcycle