Author Topic: 2 3/4 oil capacity  (Read 2449 times)

Offline runmark

2 3/4 oil capacity
« on: 16 Oct 2018 at 21:09 »
Hello,  How much oil is required in the crankcase upon startup befor the drip feed is engaged.  Thanks. Mark

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: 2 3/4 oil capacity
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2018 at 08:24 »
Hi Mark,
             It depends what you mean by 'startup'! If you mean normal start up after the engine has already been run, just pull up the pump so that oil drips into the engine, then start it.
      If you mean start up after an engine strip down, then allow 1 pump full of oil to drain into the engine first, set the drip feed and start up.
   After running my engine, I allow the oil remaining in the pump to continue dripping into the engine. That way, there is always enough oil in the crankcase to ensure good lubrication on next startup, second, there is no residual pressure in the pump (so no leakage past the washer only to be spilt onto the tank top next time), and thirdly, the drip feed is already set for your next run.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline Eric S

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2018 at 18:58 »
Eddie
interesting as I may have not thought about htis concern when I will have put my engine back together.
But what do you mean by "1 pump full of oil".

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2018 at 20:16 »
Eric,
       This has no relevance to your engine, so forget about it. The oiling on the 2¾hp engine is a drip feed total loss system whereas your engine has a pressurised recirculating system that is totally different.

Eddie.

Offline Eric S

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2018 at 06:58 »
Eddie

OK I thought I would have to kind of preload some oil in there to lubricate before the oil under pressure makes it there.