Author Topic: Another EW  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Charlie18

Another EW
« on: 22 Jul 2018 at 11:46 »
Hi,  I’ve been reading with interest your posts and can see that there is a wealth of knowledge and experiences out there. I started collecting EW Douglas bike parts at swap days and local farms over 40 years ago .After an attempted restoration they where shelved until I had more time so now I’m back on to it. l put my bike as a 1926 EW the frame is MF 10868 engine is YE9072 gearbox is RG11460 not originally all from the same bike.   My concern is getting an understanding of beaded edge tyres as I have good rims that measure 20,7/16 inches OD but a new 26+3 tyre appears to be too loose a fit. I would like to stay with BE rims if I could. I am located in southern NSW Australia and would love to have contact with any other EW restorers in that region. There will be other issues no doubt as I progress but for now I’ll post some photos .    Thanking You   Doug

« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2021 at 19:26 by Dave »

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Another EW
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2018 at 12:29 »
Hi Charlie
Going back several years there was considerable discussion on The Forum about the tyres for the EW model. I certainly remember contributing to this. The basic facts are that the EW model and some CW models were issued with 25" x 3" beaded edge tyres. It appears that this size tyre was only used on Douglas machines and as time went by and beaded edge tyres went out of fashion new sources had to be found for replacement beaded edge tyres and common sizes used on many makes and models were provided and are still made in small quantities with the exception of the 25" x 3". My 1925 CW was also supplied with this size of tyre. The only available BE tyre approved for use on this rim is 24" x 2.1/4" and indeed my CW came with this size on the rear wheel which looked ridiculous especially as the CW has the large section mudguards. The front tyre was the original 25" X 3" which was so rotten you could see the fabric through the side walls. Most CWs were issued with 26" x 2.1/4/2.1/2" tyres so my solution was quite simple; to rebuild both wheels with correct rims for 26" tyres. For some time EW users were officially advised to fit 26" X 3" tyres but it was observed that they were a loose fit. When "Health and Safety" started to rear its head official advice was withdrawn and no one was prepared to risk being sued for recommending the incorrect tyre. I am currently restoring a 1924 model Douglas which was originally issued with 26" x 3" BE tyres. I have purchased new BE rims from the Netherlands to suit the available 26" x 3" BE tyres and these are approximately 1/2" larger in overall diameter than the rims you have measured as part of your  EW project. I hope this helps.
Chris.

Offline Charlie18

Re: Another EW
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2018 at 21:11 »
Hi Chris.   Thanks for your reply and information. The wheels issue needs to sorted out soon and I’m trying to source parts and services and other restorers here in Australia. The actual sighting of another restored or partly restored bike would help a lot. Doug