Author Topic: Another EW  (Read 6955 times)

Offline Charlie18

Another EW
« on: 21 Jul 2018 at 23:59 »
Hi, This is my third attempt to post this on the forum hopefully this time it gets through.  I’ve been reading with interest your posts and can see that there is a wealth of knowledge and experiences out there. I started collecting EW Douglas bike parts at swap days and local farms over 40 years ago .After an attempted restoration they where shelved until I had more time so now I’m back on to it. l put my bike as a 1926 EW the frame is MF 10868 engine is YE9072 gearbox is RG11460 not originally from the same bike.   My concern is getting an understanding of beaded edge tyres as I have good rims that measure 20,7/16 inches OD but a new 26+3 tyre appears to be too loose a fit. I would like to stay with BE rims if I could. I am located in southern NSW Australia and would love to have contact with any other EW restorers in that region. There will be other issues no doubt as I progress but for now I’ll post some photos ( sorry the photos seem to be the problem )and hope this post gets through. Thanking You   Doug

Offline Charlie18

Re: Another EW
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2018 at 00:09 »
My message came through ok but I can’t get the photos through. I’m working from an I Pad that might be the problem  I’ll try and get some help from my end  Doug

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2018 at 07:00 »
Hi Doug,

When you say "... but I can’t get the photos through", are you seeing any error messages? It may be the same problem we encountered recently where a quantity of large photos (in terms of megapixels) can't be processed simultaneously - please see explanation here.

The simplest solution is to send your photos to the address shown in this topic and we will add them to your post. Or you could try attaching them to your post one at a time, this should get around the server memory overload issue.

Dave

Updated details for emailing photos - Dave, 11Feb2021
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2021 at 08:05 by Dave »

Offline Charlie18

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2018 at 08:58 »
Another attempt to send photo

« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2021 at 19:21 by Dave »

Offline Charlie18

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2018 at 09:04 »
Still testing

« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2021 at 19:22 by Dave »

Offline Charlie18

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2018 at 09:09 »
Hi Dave Thanks for your response I cropped my photos and they are transmitting ok. There is a lot more to restoring bikes than I thought.  Doug

Offline Rex

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2018 at 17:43 »
Couple of tyres, a splash of paint and she'll be good to go... :wink:

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2018 at 22:29 »
Doug,

Well done on solving the photo posting problem.
We are currently setting up a large photo testing project to more accurately quantify the problem and identify possible solutions.

Would you be able to send me copies of your photos in their original form (uncropped - as produced by the camera or phone) please?
I would like to include them in the tests. Please send your photos to the address shown in this topic.

many thanks, Dave

Updated details for emailing photos - Dave, 11Feb2021
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2021 at 07:52 by Dave »

Offline Charlie18

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2018 at 20:30 »
Ok Dave I’ll test my skills a bit more and send you an email. The problems I had with the failed posts where probably caused by my lack computer skills.
eg        1.   too large a message together with 5 photos
            2.   failing to read the error code
            3    when I attempted to send photos individually, not putting on a heading at all or That heading already existed.
             4.  And there’s probably more that I wasn’t aware of
                Thank You.  Doug

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2018 at 07:33 »
Thanks very much for emailing those images Doug, they will be very useful for testing.

As the five images are all 12.19 megapixels each, I would say the problem you encountered was the error 500 (memory issue) described in this post and not something you created.

Images around this 12.19 megapixel size (4032 x 3024 pixels) are becoming more common on late model phones, so we need to find a solution.

thanks again, Dave

Offline jimf

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2021 at 17:55 »
Pigeon painted don't like patina

Offline jimf

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2021 at 17:56 »
Pigeon painted don't like patina
  :lol: