Author Topic: '37 Aero  (Read 319 times)

Offline Mick dobson

'37 Aero
« on: 30 Jun 2018 at 21:21 »
This is my first post on this forum,I hope to gather some advice, I'm considering buying a 37 aero, I have several other classic bikes including a 39 velo mac, a 34 350 Levi's,and a 47 Norton es2. But returning to the aero, what should I expect performance wise, what would be a comfortable cruising speed, and what's the handling like,finally what are they like to live with on a daily basis, I don't expect a rocket ship, but would like a comfortable mount capable of carrying me a reasonable distance on mostly B roads at a leisurely pace similar to my other bikes. Any advice or thoughts gratefully received.     Regards,  Mick.

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Re: '37 Aero
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2018 at 06:35 »
Mick,

The 600 Aeros are a pretty docile machine. Very good tractability up to about maybe 60mph, and there really isn't much more speed after that. Pretty light bike with the weight down low, so handling is nice. Engine and gearbox are dead basic, so if put together right should never have a problem. Just don;t try to tune it, as if they rev any higher than limited by the original design, then the narrow center web to the crankshaft becomes an Achilles heel.

Axles are a bit spindly, and the original wheel bearings are getting difficult and expensive to obtain.

My brother has a '48 MAC, and it will blow the doors off a 600 Aero. Though it too is limited in top speed, usually due to gearing. Runs briskly up into the fifties and then plateaus.

-Doug

Offline Mick dobson

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jul 2018 at 11:51 »
Hi Doug, thanks for that, that's much as what I was expecting,similar to rigid baa m21 I once owned, except a bit more exotic! Do the aeros run hot, I know the m21 did, my velo is a wonderful machine,and a definite keeper, such a willing little engine, and never fails to put a smile on my face. Anyway, better stop talking about Volos or the moderator will kick me off the forum! Any other advice, knowledge, or hints and tips great fully received.   Mick.

Offline Bert

« Reply #3 on: 01 Jul 2018 at 12:44 »
I have a 1930 T6 which I gather is very similar to the 600 Aero. It is the favourite of all my bikes. With its long wheelbase and low slung weight it is a great cruiser at about 90 km/h. The engine sounds and feels comfortable at that speed but as Doug says, it is not fast getting there, being side valve and hand change. Very, very smooth due to the in line horizontally opposed twin. Ducati  twin may be as smooth but obviously a different bike.  I have had it running for 80 kms into a 35 km/h headwind at 36C and it wasn’t running hot that I could feel, then or afterwards. Such a laid back bike. 

Offline Mick dobson

« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 2018 at 14:16 »
Thanks for that Bert, it's sounds just what I'm after, I've got more modern machinery for quicker rides on a roads, 63 super rocket, and a 57 miss, but the aero sounds ideal to meander the back roads at a slower pace taking in the scenery,  mick.

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jul 2018 at 16:50 »
It is sort of like driving a farm tractor on the road. Accelerates with purpose, but then you realize that you are not going all that fast after all!

-Doug

motorcycle