Author Topic: Petrol tap  (Read 1605 times)

Offline tck

• old racer
Petrol tap
« on: 08 Jun 2018 at 16:32 »
My 1925 2-3/4 SV belt drive (it must have been one of the last made) has a petrol tap about 2 inches long and has a bottom compartment that holds a small petrol filter the spring post had snapped off of the end of the  taper lever itself, I have managed to tap the taper center out M3 and held the retaining spring in with a small cheese head but it will of course undo in use and can only be a temporary repair.
any idea where I can get a suitable replacement? its length means that a shorter tap will also mean a non standard pipe. alternatively  a replacement tapered lever would be  OK. the tank and union thread is the smaller size of BSP.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Petrol tap
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jun 2018 at 17:08 »
Instead of using the small cheese head, couldn't you find a longer bolt, screw it in on high strength Loctite until thread bound, then trim it off to the original length, then fit a brass nut with lower strength Loctite? That way, the nut will stay in place and everything will appear original.

Eddie.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2018 at 20:14 »
the tapped hole now meets the petrol hole in the taper I wonder what the effect  of the so called fuel nowadays on locktite would be?

Offline yosemite

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:57 »
Not sure about effect of modern fuel on loctite, but would be worried about fuel leaking along threadwithout using some form of thread sealant, perhaps you could try soldering a stud in place rather than loctite.