Author Topic: MK5 Side stand  (Read 1392 times)

Offline digcot65

MK5 Side stand
« on: 26 Apr 2018 at 14:21 »
I bought a side stand for my MK5 as I found it difficult to pull onto the centre stand,especially in my garage where the floor is painted.The bike just slid along as I tried to pull it up.So I bought a side stand and made the bracket as shown which is ideal.I bolted it onto the front engine bracket,which may be for a sidecar, also I found that when I leaned the bike over the one thick bolt wasn`t enough,so I have welded the stand onto the bracket as well .Belt and braces !!! :) Len
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2018 at 15:43 by digcot65 »

Offline Jonathan Hewitt

Re: MK5 Side stand
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2018 at 17:25 »
Sorry len,
           but if you are going to move this machine  '  on ' as you say you are going to you, should have the welding done to an acceptable standard especially as you feel the the stand will collapse if only held on one bolt. I say this as I have had a similar problem with a machine that I bought.
Jonathan

Offline digcot65

Re: MK5 Side stand
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2018 at 08:02 »
Having only one bolt in the stand didn`t make it "collapse" it allowed the stand to turn slightly on its axis.Welding the stand to the frame secured it, with the bolt in place it allowed me to get the stand in the exact position. Also it would take more than the weight of the bike to move the welding. Len

motorcycle