Author Topic: 1930 s6  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Hyryder

1930 s6
« on: 21 Apr 2018 at 06:45 »
Hi Guys  have a problem with my s6 leaking oil at the generator have fitted o rings and a modern seal in the timing cover that runs on the generator drive bush still leaking oil but not as bad also putting what I would consider a lot of oil out the breather regards Bruce

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: 1930 s6
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2018 at 06:50 »
Hi Bruce

How much oil do you have in the sump? My experience with an S6 has been that if the level is too high there will be no end of leaks from wherever oil can get out

Regards, Graeme

Offline Hyryder

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2018 at 07:47 »
Hi Graeme Its got 2 quarts sorry about the old imperial measure but I used a quart oil bottle which put its level at about the bottom of the filler neck regards Bruce

Offline Bert

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2018 at 09:12 »
Hi Bruce,
I found that if I filled the sump up to the bottom of the threads, I would have a slight excess of oil out of the breather ( Iíve managed to seal the top area from leaks- which is really only oil mist escaping) until the sump reached a level it was happy with, then no further excess leaks. It settled about a centimetre below the threads and thatís where it remains until each oil change.

Offline Hyryder

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:46 »
Thanks Bert I've only done 40 k's on the bike since I put the engine back together so I'll just have to see how it goes How well does the breather have to seal on the timing case regards BRUCE 

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2018 at 10:57 »
Hi Bruce,
              It would be a good idea to check out the timing cover for cracks. They are prone to cracking, especially if the correct procedure for tightening the crankcase studs is not adhered to. The crankcase studs should be tightened left hand side first ( that makes sure the crankcase halves and the primary chaincase are securely clamped together). The timing cover nuts should then be nipped up just enough to produce an oil tight joint. If the timing cover nuts are tightened first, the timing cover could be taking the stress of keeping the crankcases together because the heads of the through studs are not snugged up to the timing side half of the crankcase - this also allows the timing gear outrigger plate to wriggle and eventually break off the cast alloy oil feed pillar inside the timing chest.
  Hope this is of some help,
  Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline Hyryder

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2018 at 11:36 »
Hi Eddie thanks for the info which I took notice of in the maintenance manual and made sure the flywheel side nuts were tight before I put the timing cover on pretty sure there are no cracks in timing cover but I'll have an extra careful look next time I take it off regards Bruce

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2018 at 17:00 »
Hi Bruce,

I had bought a S6 last year and had a lot of work to find the reason for (heavy!) oil leaking.
Iīm the 3rd owner after the restauration and I could imagine these oil troubles are the reason the pre owners were not happy for the bike?

In the end (after weeks) I find a the mistake, the breather channel inside the 2 crankcases was blocked by a gasket with NO hole in it for the air passing through!
So the breather could not work.
Very simple but big effect!
I hope on your S6 is this okay.
I have still small leakage from the oil indicator.

Michael

Offline Hyryder

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2018 at 21:47 »
Hi Michael thanks for your reply but I assume that the breather is clear because of the oil out the primary drive side regards Bruce

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2018 at 16:50 »
Bruce,

did you have checked the timing of the breather?

Michael

Offline Bert

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2018 at 03:11 »
Good point Michael. When I rebuilt the timing side of my T6 I found the two dogs on my timed breather were badly worn. I machined up a new one and at the same time made a four point outrigger plate (as mentioned in Eddieís post). This probably had something to do with reducing Crankcase pressure. I did post photographs of the outrigger on this forum.  They should be easy to locate.
Brett

Offline Hyryder

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2018 at 07:57 »
HI Micheal /Brett I will check the breather timing but I also noticed that the generator has a small felt washer that looks like its meant to seal the drive bush for the genny which might mean oil is coming out the drive sleeve and past the genny regards Bruce