Author Topic: MK5 Tickover  (Read 4319 times)

Offline digcot65

MK5 Tickover
« on: 10 Apr 2018 at 13:20 »
Hello, I am trying to work on my car and the Douglas at the moment.The bike starts reasonable well with the throttle turned quite a bit open and the ignition lever half way.The bike ticks over quite well, but with a bit of a backfire, however when I return the ign.lever to normal the bike stalls. Swapping the float and chamber top over has lessened the flooding but it still trickles out after tickling the carb. but stops when the bike is running, so some improvement there.I will change just the top over when I have the time,  I would like to get the tick over sorted first it`s almost as though the timing is out. I haven`t disturbed anything on the magneto other than to connect the wire from the button to the cutout, which it doesn`t when pressed When I first looked at the cutout button the wire went from it to the rear of the frame and soldered to an earth tag, so earth to earth !!!! Len

Offline digcot65

Re: MK5 Tickover
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2018 at 14:29 »
I know this is going to be a silly question to some members, but it is 60 years since I last owned a bike.With the lever in the position shown" closed" is that advance or retard.Also when adding an attachment, is there a sign to say it has been accepted. Len

[Attachments converted to linked images. 03Dec21 -Doug, Admin]
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2021 at 01:31 by Doug »

Offline Rex

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2018 at 14:41 »
You'd do better to take off the points cover and check which way the cam ring moves when operating the lever (which is on the wrong side, incidentally).
With the direction of rotation of the armature is retarded, and Vicky verky.

Offline digcot65

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2018 at 18:47 »
Thanks, after a lot of trouble I managed to remove the magneto cover, it was stuck on and I didn`t want to break it.Pulling the lever towards you when sitting on the bike advances the ignition I just need to cure the slight drip from the one carb, by swapping about the needles and float chamber tops. I thought the advance lever should be on the right side looking at other bikes on Google images, that was how it was when I bought the bike. Len

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2018 at 09:57 »
 "but it still trickles out after tickling the carb. but stops when the bike is running"

That is what it should do! 'Tickling' the carb artificially increases the fuel level to give easier starting from cold.

Eddie.

Offline digcot65

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2018 at 13:40 »
Sorry I wasn`t very clear if  I tickle the carbs until the fuel runs from the small jet then stop, fuel still drips out of the carb slightly until the bike startsHave been away for a few days so haven`t had chance to look at the bike.Len

Offline Hampshirebiker

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2018 at 14:34 »
Depends where from? I had to keep giving the nuts that hold the float chambers on another nip up.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2018 at 15:27 »
The Amal 274's have a small bleed hole in the side of the choke block that vents into the slot in the body for the choke block locating pin - this hole prevents air locks inside the choke block. When you tickle the carbs, the fuel level rises to the point that it runs out of the bleed hole - further tickling raises the level until it flows from the float chamber vents. This is all normal!

Eddie.

Offline digcot65

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2018 at 08:12 »
Yes, but when you stop tickling,shouldn`t the flow out of the vent hole stop. My carb continues to drip until the bike is running.Len

Offline Rex

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:13 »
Over-tickling?

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2018 at 16:39 »
The level of the petrol in mixing chamber should regulate after  short time, when the engine is running.
Wait a minute  and look again.
Otherwise the level in the float chamber is too high.

Michael