Author Topic: New owner  (Read 4399 times)

Offline yosemite

New owner
« on: 15 Sep 2017 at 21:12 »
Recently I became the new owner of a T35 which was, according to the papeerwork, first registered in1948. Overall the conition is good with a couple of small
problems to sort out, engine runs but does not charge(ammeter shows constant discharge even when engine is revved) and the front tyre  has a slow puncture.  I was informed that the magneto had been rebuilt so I am assuming the dynamo was also overhauled at the same time, so I suspect either a wiring fault or the voltage regulator.
I had a short ride on it today but didnt go far because of the front tyre, only poblem I had was of my own making, trying to change gear using the back brake, been riding japanese bikes for too long, the only british bike I have ridden recntly  is my BSA A65 and Ikept doing the same with that.
I have a couple of questions about the bike which aren't answered in the parts manual or handbook, both of which came with the bike, these are what is the best way to remove the front wheel so I can replace the front tube, and what is the original finish of the rims, chrome oras mine are painted black?
Thanks
Paul

Offline Andy Smith

Re: New owner
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2017 at 22:42 »
Get a copy of Spannerama to guide you on making a jack to support the bike, There is a pinch bolt that needs to be slackened then the spindle can be undone and removed, I don't know about the original rims but a lot are painted.

Offline Hampshirebiker

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2017 at 07:19 »
There were a lot of shortages after the war, so I'd go for painted (could be wrong though). I would have thought it unlikely that they'd have been painted in a single colour.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2017 at 14:08 »
Paul,
        If your bike has been laying idle for some time, the dynamo may be giving no charge because it has lost it's residual magnetism. To re-instate the magnetism, remove the wires from the dynamo, then with another length of wire, connect the 'F' terminal to the live side of the battery for a few seconds, then replace the 2 wires and start the engine. Providing the voltage control box is OK, a charge should show on the ammeter.

Regards,
             Eddie.

Offline yosemite

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2017 at 22:07 »
Thanks for the replies, not sure how long the bike was laid up for, but I think not long, but will try flashing the dynamo, have the lucas regulator workshop instructions for the control box, so will delve into the electrics over the weekend,and find out what is up (hopefully)
the problem with the wheel removal isnt so much removing the wheel but raher supporting the machine so hat the wheel can be removed, both wheels are on the ground when its on the centrestand, so even if I supported the weigt on a suitable jack I suspect I would stil have trouble removinng the wheel. Do these bikes have problems with wear on the frame/centrestand stop lugs or pivot bolts?.
Thanks
Paul

Offline Andy Smith

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2017 at 22:11 »
page 4 spannerama

Offline Eric S

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2017 at 22:18 »
Paul

on my Aero 1937 I had the rear wheel that ended touching the ground whereas it was not when I got the bike a couple of months earlier.
I noticed 1 stop lug had moved and the 2nd was not in contact anyway so I had them rewelded to add some material and ground them so they both are now in contact and the rear wheel is off ground

Hope this is clear enough and helps

Eric

Offline Rex

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2017 at 15:21 »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2017 at 18:11 »
Paul,
        T35's don't normally suffer from wear on the stand but if the bike has been started on the stand, the extra load may have caused the frame cross tube to get wrung, allowing the stand to go forward more than was intended. If this has happened, you may also have trouble getting the stand pivot bolt out, as it will probably foul the bottom frame tubes. The LDMCC spares scheme offers a stud and 2 nuts as an alternative to the original nut and bolt (to make replacement easier).

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline Andy Smith

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2017 at 19:49 »
Re  "Sorry...??"
"Spannerama" Is a book by a LDMCC member Neville Heath he discribes his book as a supplement to the factory manuals however it explains many of the repair procedures needed to maintain the Mk models, Page 4 explains and shows how to make a jack to support the bike when carrying out repairs including wheel removal I would recommend you get a copy.