Author Topic: Clutch for 1921 2 1/2 HP  (Read 5955 times)

Offline andertheke

Clutch for 1921 2 1/2 HP
« on: 28 May 2017 at 15:39 »
My Douglas has no clutch. The Engine comes from 1921. I have a fragment of a flywheel-clutch, but the outer parts (the cap before and the lever behind) are missing. Is there anybody who still produces those parts?
« Last Edit: 28 May 2017 at 15:52 by andertheke »

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Re: Clutch for 1921 2 1/2 HP
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2017 at 13:13 »

Sorry, I don't know.

But a couple of comments:

With a bit of practice, a TS is very easy to ride with no clutch. Fun, and less to go wrong.

Also, before you go too far working on your clutch, check that the taper is the correct size for your motor. It looks big.

Cheers

Leon

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2017 at 16:48 »
Hi
It looks as though the flywheel clutch you have is from the EW model as it has rollers and uses a separate thrust washer. It is easier to fit a CW flywheel that has a ball race acting as a combined radial and thrust bearing on a TS as the crankshafts are the same. The EW assembly can be fitted but will need a sleeve or new central hub shrunk in to fit the taper of the TS crankshaft. The missing parts do turn up on eBay occasionally but no parts of these are in current production as far as I know. I know that owners have turned up the top hat shroud from the solid that is held on the outer face of the flywheel by four screws and the other parts are probably easier to make than this item. The thrust used on these assemblies originally was a brass disc with trapped bearing balls but a search of the forum will reveal the use of an "oilite" washer in its place.
    If you fit a flywheel clutch you will also have to replace the sprocket on the gearbox with the correct number of smaller teeth to ensure that the gear ratios remain the same. A 1/2" x 3/16" primary chain will replace the existing chain. A double handlebar bracket will also be required like the CW for the clutch and valve lifter levers. A clutch release mechanism will also be required between the flywheel and the crankcase. Some of these parts are very difficult to find.  Chris.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2017 at 17:00 by Chris »

Offline andertheke

« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2017 at 15:48 »
so, ist there any cluch for sale or swop which fits to my bike?

@cardan: thanks for your advice, but I live in a mountainous area, so you often have to start uphill  :cry:

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jun 2017 at 23:08 »

You will be amazed at what a clutchless 2 3/4 Douglas will do! Many of my bikes don't have a clutch OR gears, and one of the skills is choosing the best place to stop so that you can get started again.

Re hill climbing, I was taught the following technique for little Dougies: get as far as you can in top gear (probably full throttle, air a little closed and maybe ignition slightly retarded as the motor slows), then, when it's clear that you're not going to make it to the top in high gear, grab that little lever and pull it into low as fast as you can. It sounds brutal, but it seems to work fine. It's a robust little gearbox.

Good luck!

Leon

Offline andertheke

« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2017 at 08:34 »
Thanks Leon,

but what is the best method to start after you have stopped at a traffic light uphill.
Is it better to start with standing engine or better with running engine idling?

... and are you running besides the bike or while sitting on it?

Best regards
Peter

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2017 at 09:39 »

Avoid uphill traffic lights!

When I ride an old bike in traffic, I stop with the valves lifted, get off, and stand beside the bike. The driver of the car behind is usually amazed - so amazed that he/she won't run me over. When the light goes green, I push off with the valves lifted, drop the valves and jump on. For a Douglas, up hill would be in low gear, but on the flat or down hill I just do it in top.

Stopping with the engine running is OK, but not my style. If you do stop with the motor running and the bike in neutral, it's vital to paddle off and get moving before you jam the bike into gear - it's a bit rugged really.

When there is no traffic around, it's quite easy to paddle the bike off while astride in low gear, drop the valves, then away.

I'm not sure what other people do - perhaps TS riders can add their styles.

Cheers

Leon

Offline andertheke

« Reply #7 on: 04 Jun 2017 at 12:01 »

Offline andertheke

« Reply #8 on: 04 Jun 2017 at 13:02 »
there are so many Douglas still on the road - how can it be that there are no clutch replicas available?

if really not - are there any technical drawings existent that someone would be able to manufacture those parts?