Douglas - For Sale Items

Douglas 1913 Model P motorcycle

Douglas - Wanted Items

Douglas 1915 3 Spd-Gearbox and Clutch

Support & How to Join

Side Panel Notices

Quick Comments

Reminders, links to interesting topics, bump your own topic, quick comments or any short message of interest to members. Try it out!
Please note - 500 character current limit

Dave

Yesterday at 00:09:46
Welcome to the new site!

Recommended viewing for a fast start...
 - Quick Tour of the Front Page
 - Quick Tour of the new Attachments

More info in my post here.

Amal 274 Carburettor Bell Mouth

Started by Red, 07 Jun 2017 at 15:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Red

The bank holiday Sunday I attended the Bristol Cavalcade and had a good day out and covered around 180 miles on my Mark 5. Sadly when I got home I noticed that I had lost the nearside carburettor bell mouth. I contacted a couple of suppliers and only Hitchcock's Motorcycles could help, but what they initially supplied did not fit - too small. Eventually after providing them with dimensions of the thread on the carb body which is 1 1/4 inches by 24 TPI they supplied a bell mouth for the Amal 276 (part number AM/6/038) and this fitted perfectly. Some of you may already be aware of this difference, but I thought I would mention it just in case. Cost of the bell mouth was £9.40 plus VAT and postage. Their Web site address is www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com

eddie

Hi Roy,
           There are a couple of anomalies with the 274 carbs on a Mark. The first, as you have found out, is that they use 276 bellmouths. The second is that the carb bodies are cast in aluminium, whereas most other Amals are a zinc based alloy.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Red

Hi Eddie

Yes I am still learning, but at least Hitchcocks were very helpful. I did try Burlens but even though I gave them all the information they apparently did not stock the standard bell mouth and all they had was the screw on intake with the gauze filter. The other thing I did find out was that club spares do have a reasonable stock of new Amal 274 bodies with the vertical fixing holes, so if anyone is in need of a carburettor they could probably build one up.

Roy