Author Topic: A Very Important Question  (Read 5271 times)

Offline gsx1100s

A Very Important Question
« on: 04 Jul 2005 at 01:57 »
Hello from a new member. This to you experienced riders (of early model Douglas')  may seem a silly question...but how does one ride a Douglas from say 1915-1925?? :oops:
As a motorcyclist of modern machines I am at a loss at the levers and plungers etc on these beautiful bikes. Although I am also very excited at the prospect of learning to ride one.
Is there a manual that may help or would "hands on" experience with other owners be the preffered method?
Thanks again for your time and patience.

cheers Michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline graeme

• Master Member
A very important question
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2005 at 06:30 »
Hello Michael
Good luck in getting an appropriate 2 3/4hp Douglas - they are around. As to riding them, they aren't difficult at all. The 2 3/4 is a physically small and light machine, and the twin cylinder engine is so easy to start that you can paddle them with your feet - no need to run and jump like on many veterans. The levers are not complicated, and you don't need to fiddle with them constantly. And of course they aren't fast, so they don't feel like they are getting away on you! This isn't the case with my dad's 1924 OB 600 ohv, which is very fast, and in all honesty is a bit daunting to ride in a built up area. Great on the open road though.
If you are an experienced rider on any type of motorcycle, I think you will have no trouble riding a veteran Douglas - they are leaps and bounds ahead of most machines of the era - which is why they were so popular.
Might I also suggest that you that you get in touch with the local Vintage Motorcycle Club, as well as the Antique Motorcycle Club -they are also Victorian based. I'm sure that someone will let you have a ride on a veteran if you show interest, and might even know of a suitable Douglas for you. Check the archives on this list too - there have been a couple of veteran 2 3/4 machines for sale.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline Ian

• Master Member
A Very Important Question
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2005 at 22:55 »
Definitely not as fast as a GSX1100 !! The key to riding the old bikes is to always ride within the capability of the brakes. The 2.75hp is actually not too bad in that regard as it is so light and doesn't go very fast anyway. However, low gear is more for going down steep hills than up !!