Author Topic: Dragonfly exhaust  (Read 173 times)

Offline Sgtbiro

Dragonfly exhaust
« on: 25 Feb 2020 at 21:07 »
Hi can someone please tell me the difference between an offside and nearside exhaust on a Dragonfly is as they have different part numbers in the parts book, i am currently trying to restore a Fly and i have two exhausts but they both look identical to me is there a obvious difference, or can you get away with using ether.

Cheers Kevin..   

Offline EW-Ron

Re: Dragonfly exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2020 at 21:56 »
Often the only differences between a left and right side muffler is if the means of attachment are welded or bolted on.
If the attachment point(s) are welded, the left and right side are clearly defined, if bolted then they are usually arranged so either can go either side.

If the ones you have are well used, sometimes you can tell which bits were underneath by the scratches and scrapes, although if well cared for these may
be minor to non-existent. Hopethishelps !

Offline Jonathan Hewitt

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2020 at 06:45 »
The original silencers were made by a company called  'Burgess ' in Hinckley Leicestershire . The name 'Burgess ' was embossed down the length of  both silencers  so if they were not handed the name would be upside down. They will fit on either side.
Jonathan

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2020 at 07:45 »
The actual pipes are different lengths on the return to the cylinder head to cater for the stagger of the cylinders. The LH pipe is about 1 5/16" longer than the RH.

Regards,
                  Eddie.

Offline Sgtbiro

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 18:40 »
Thank you all for your help, making steady progress with the Fly but still got a thousand questions i think its going to take a long time.

Cheers Kevin..