Author Topic: Magneto removal  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Bob Donovan

Magneto removal
« on: 09 Dec 2016 at 09:56 »
Hi, I am new to the group and new to the Douglas motorcycle but I have recently purchased a Mk1 T35 which has no spark, could somebody advise how to remove the magdyno without damaging anything, do I need any special tools or do I just undo the nuts and bolts holding it in place?
I would welcome some advice please.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Magneto removal
« Reply #1 on: 09 Dec 2016 at 11:51 »
Hi Bob,
           Before trying to remove the magneto, take out the 2 HT pickups (to prevent accidental damage). Remove the cast alloy bridge clamp and the RH stud and adaptor (the one recessed into the side of the mag body), then remove the 2 1/4"BSF bolts securing the mag to the back of the timing chest. You should now be able to pull the mag away from the timing chest - the timing chest has a large enough hole for the timing gear to be left in situ.
  Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Bob Donovan

« Reply #2 on: 09 Dec 2016 at 15:12 »
Hi Eddie,
Thanks for the help, it looked pretty straightforward but I just wanted to check before I tried and broke something. I am very new to Douglas as my other bikes are mostly Velocette so I am looking forward to getting the old girl running and out on the road.
I take it that refitting will be a reverse of the removal but is there anything I need to look out for regarding setting the timing etc?
Bob

Offline Bob Donovan

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2016 at 16:02 »
Hi Eddie,
Thank you for your guidance regarding magneto removal, I have now managed to get the old girl started for the first time since 1999.
Best regards Bob