Author Topic: Drive belts  (Read 6321 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Drive belts
« on: 27 Jun 2005 at 01:51 »
Anyone know of a source for original style segmented drive belts ?

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Drive belts
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2005 at 03:42 »
I do not think the originals were segmented; rather they were a leather belt which just had one connecting link.  

In the UK I hear the segmented belting called Brammer belting.  In the USA, at industrial supplies, I have heard it called Link Belt (not sure if that is a trade name, think it is.)  Not sure if the Brammer belt is especially strong, but the Link Belt is rated at but a fraction of the power transmission of the same section continuous V-belt.  Which make me wonder how such survives on belt drive motorcycles, thought I know folks do use it.  We have found the USA industrial version to be not quite up to the task of driving the water pump and generator on Model A and B series Fords.  It was forever stretching and one wonders if someday it would have been reduced to the proverbial single link wrapped around the pulleys!  The Link Belt is a nylon cord reinforced rubber compound, much like a standard V-belt, and I suspect the Brammer Belt is the same.  

-Doug

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Drive belts
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2005 at 01:29 »
Thanks Doug - I think I know the belts you mean. I thought that the Brammer style was 1920's. Didn't the veterans have the segmented belt ? I will try to find a pic of the type I mean

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
drive belt
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jul 2005 at 05:39 »
spoke to my father he says douglas had a leather belt with one connceting link
he used to work as a fitter in a workshop in the 30s
also told me a light oil and powdered shellac on leather makes it grip better
i would have thought oil would have made it slip but who knows

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Drive belts
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jul 2005 at 05:53 »
Thanks Trevor. BTW I know all about what happens when you get oil on a drive belt. I went on my first veteran rally a week ago (not on a Douglas unfortunatly - have not been able to find a veteran one). I over oiled it and ended up with oil splashed all over the belt - not good up hills !! Douglas has a much better system - the exhaust does not exit right in front of the belt as it does on my triumph !!