Author Topic: Magneto Timing Gear  (Read 2151 times)

Offline B.Shepherd

Magneto Timing Gear
« on: 04 Aug 2016 at 19:16 »
1926 Douglas EW 350
Hi Everybody: Has anybody tried to renew the bearings on the magneto timing gears. I bought the bike as a runner but some of the 21 flat faced bearings were missing and the remainder of the bearings have caused some damage to the back of the timing gear. I have the new bearings but there seems to be a washer or shim missing to stop the bearings coming into direct contact with the back of the timing gear. I need info for the rebuild as to the washer/shim which seem to be missing.
Regards

Brian Shepherd

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Magneto Timing Gear
« Reply #1 on: 04 Aug 2016 at 20:16 »
Brian,

Attached are some views of the Magneto QD drive.

Not shown, nor do I have, is a thin (about 1/16 inch) fiber washer. According to the EW handbook:

“Should the magneto of a 1926 machine be detached at any time, make sure that the small spring between the end of the armature shaft and the drive dog is replaced, as this keeps the fiber washer in the magneto drive up against the shoulder to retain the oil in the timing chest.”

-Doug

[update image links. 02May19 Doug]
« Last Edit: 02 May 2019 at 14:23 by Doug »

Offline B.Shepherd

Re: Magneto Timing Gear
« Reply #2 on: 06 Aug 2016 at 18:24 »
Hi Doug
Thanks for the photos and info about the gearing, it seems that someone has been messing about with the gearing before I bought it. I am missing the bearing holder ring, the fiber washer and the spring, have you any info as to where I could obtain any of these items.
Regards
Brian

motorcycle