Author Topic: Side Stand  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Christo

Side Stand
« on: 25 Jul 2016 at 18:28 »
Hi Folks,

Has anyone else had problems re no side stand - cos for the life of me I just can't manage that ridicules centre stand! I hope somebody has sorted the design of the side stand and would be willing to make another?
Christo, North bucks

1952 Mk5

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Side Stand
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2016 at 21:14 »
Hi Christo,
                The fact you are having trouble managing the centre stand begs the question - 'Has your bike got a stand retaining clip fitted to the front end of the rear mudguard?' This clip not only keeps the stand in the raised position but also provides a halfway position that allows you to shift your foot from the pad to the bottom of the stand (making raising the bike onto the stand much easier).
  Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline Red

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2016 at 15:20 »
Hi Chris

Eddie is right about the stand clip. He pointed out that my Mark 5 had no stand clip, but even now this is fitted I still find the centre stand difficult to use. As a result I made up and fitted a side stand which is so much easier to use. Have a look at the link below. Roy

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=5892.0

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2016 at 19:22 »
I fitted one using the main engine through bolt and running a loop bracket around the exhaust pipe LH side of course then attached a prop stand to that keeps the stand in line with the main mass of the engine