Author Topic: Ignition timing a Mk3  (Read 1975 times)

Offline terry mortimer

Ignition timing a Mk3
« on: 11 Jul 2016 at 16:49 »
Hi, Just a very simple question, when setting the timing on a MK3 at 36 degrees BTDC I am presuming that this is based on the engine, viewed from the front of the bike, turning in a clockwise direction. I have set this up correctly presuming the information given is that the engine turns clockwise. Wiring and all electrics have been double checked and are okay. The magneto produces a good spark when tested on the bench but I still cannot get the bloody thing to start. Any suggestions?

Offline Hampshirebiker

Re: Ignition timing a Mk3
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2016 at 17:04 »
Yes the crank rotates clockwise when viewed from the front. Remember that the magneto needs to be at full advance (tight cable) at the 36deg mark. Also you have to make sure that the correct cylinder is receiving the spark when the points open. Removal of an HT pick up will reveal a shiny section on the cam ring for this purpose.
You mention that all electrics have been checked, but apart from the mag cut out wire, (earting at the handlebar button) there is no connection with the main electrical system.
Make sure that the mag drive cog is tight on the taper; with a washer under the nut. Mine slipped after timing. Some of this advice is courtesy of Eddie on this forum.