Author Topic: Dragonfly exhaust pipes  (Read 3443 times)

Offline triton999

Dragonfly exhaust pipes
« on: 28 Jun 2016 at 16:42 »
Some time ago I purchased a pair of exhaust pipes from RGM.  They were said to be ex-Domi Racer stock.  Unfortunately, I had not tried fitting them until yesterday when it became apparent that they were the incorrect pipes. They obviously look very similar to my original pipes but are too long at the front end thus coming into contact with the front forks.  They are also quite a bit longer overall than my pipes. They do have the sealing ring at the head of the pipes as Dragonfly pipes do but I wondered if anyone could identify for me in order that I can sell them to recoup my outlay and buy new pipes.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Dragonfly exhaust pipes
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2016 at 17:08 »
It sounds as if they might be 80/90 plus pipes - they have the collar at the front end and are longer (like the pipes for a Mark). With regard to them fouling the front mudguard, have you actually got a pair of pipes, or just 2 pipes the same? The nearside pipe should be 1.3" longer at the front to compensate for the offset of the cylinders - a nearside pipe fitted to the offside would foul the mudguard. All postwar Douglases had pipes of the same dimensions except for the length of the tails - Marks and Pluses being the longest, then Dragonfly, with Mark 3 Sports being the shortest.
  Regards,
              Eddie.

Offline triton999

Re: Dragonfly exhaust pipes
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul 2016 at 08:10 »
Thanks Eddie for that reply. I have examined the pipes and found that they appear identical (Oh silly me!).
The paper wrapping on them is marked 93-04512 and the pipes also have white stickers on them marked D1 D4-2.
I do not know whether this is a Douglas part no., Domi Racer no. or RGM no.
I measured them and the distance from the engine side of the collar to the front of the pipe curve is 5.75 ins; the distance from the outside of the pipe curve to the end of the tail pipe is 33.25 ins.
Can you or anyone else help in identifying these pipes.  It would help greatly if you could.
Regards
Stuart