Author Topic: veteran steering head bearings??  (Read 5110 times)

Offline steveale

veteran steering head bearings??
« on: 05 Jun 2016 at 12:27 »
anyone find modern replacements?  I cannot find anything that will fit.  Looks like I may have to go with a modern bearing and fit a shim cup with sleeve retainer compound to affix an assembly.

Hoping someone on here has either a source for bearings to fit or has come up with a solution and part numbers of a modern fitment.

1913 2 3/4 frame. 

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: veteran steering head bearings??
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jun 2016 at 12:49 »
Hi Steveale
The 2.3/4 hp steering head bearings are simple ball cups three identical and the lowest slightly diferent with a concave radius below. They take 3/16" diameter bearing balls. There are two sizes. The veteran frames have a smaller steering head and use the smaller diameter cups. The post veteran frames use the larger diameter cups which were also used on some other later models of Douglas. These bearing cups have traditionally been available from the LDMCC Spares scheme by members of the LDMCC. However, as you are a resident of the USA I appreciate that you are unable to access the Spares Scheme. Chris.

Offline steveale

« Reply #2 on: 05 Jun 2016 at 13:47 »
it is very unfortunate that critical spares cannot be obtained for those in the USA through the club.  Any alternate supplier information would be helpful...

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jun 2016 at 16:53 »
Steve,
          Many years ago, I found that the veteran steering head races were the same as those used on tradesman's bikes (the pedalling variety with a small wheel at the front and a rack/basket for goods/parcels).
  Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline steveale

« Reply #4 on: 05 Jun 2016 at 18:57 »
Thanks eddie,

I've tried some of the old schwinns here in the states but the cage bearings and taper not thick enough to keep the frame and headset from rubbing.  I think I've located a sealed deep groove bearing that is 25mm x 37mm x 10mm.  I will have to machine a shim but I am hopeful this will solve my problems.  Fortunately the bearings are relatively cheap (< $10 ea). 

The originals have parts of the cone worn away on ~50% of the race.  I don't think they would last the duration of the cannonball in their current condition. 

I'll post once I've found the solution...

Offline steveale

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2016 at 15:20 »
no luck with vintage bicycle bearings but have found some vintage moped bearing sets that appear to work.  I did initial mock up of fit last night (had to take some material off the cup to facilitate a fit).  Actually had to piece together the correct cup and cone fitment from 2 sets.  Will be doing final assembly tonight and testing tomorrow.

motorcycle