Author Topic: 1929 Douglas EW clutch  (Read 3862 times)

Offline patrickhowell

1929 Douglas EW clutch
« on: 30 May 2016 at 16:14 »
After my engine rebuild, having trouble with the clutch failing to disengage in order to select gears, so stripped it down and cleaned it. However, the flywheel nut now unscrews itself after half a dozen kicks. It never did that before. The handbook is silent as to any locking tab washer, or which way round the drive key fits, though logically it should go in, with the radiused arms at the back. All suggestions welcome. Thanks

Offline patrickhowell

Re: 1929 Douglas EW clutch
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jun 2016 at 07:09 »
Anybody out there?

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jun 2016 at 09:14 »
One thing I learnt about Doug clutches and particularly the fly wheel is never let the flywheel come loose. I made up a tool that fits in two spring holes of the flywheel and with a deep socket and a long bar I put heaps of tension on the flywheel nut. As mentioned before you must have clearance between the ball race and the lift arm. The primary chain must be slack also to make it easier to select first and prevent it grabbing when clutch lever depressed.

You are right about the radius being inwards towards motor.Your flywheel seems to be from an earlier model as the 29 s had two locating pins on an outer circ of the flywheel. Make sure you havent misplaced the round washer that sits under the outer nut and the four springs.

regards Alan
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2016 at 09:23 by Alan Cun »

Offline patrickhowell

« Reply #3 on: 01 Jun 2016 at 13:14 »
Thanks Alan,
The flywheel was done up dead tight, but the anti-clockwise rotation of the flywheel seems to be unscrewing the right-hand threaded flywheel nuts.
There is no washer on my bike under the clutch adjuster nut. Should this washer go under that nut and above the four springs, and roughly what thickness is it? The exploded diagram in the owner's manual does not seem to include a washer, whereas the parts manual does make mention of one, although its function is not made clear. Patrick

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jun 2016 at 09:46 »
Ah yes the spring cover that is held onto the flywheel by four screws has two indents and the washer that sits between the springs and the outer nuts has indents to prevent rotation.

Offline patrickhowell

« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2016 at 08:35 »
Alan - do I understand that the washer sits under the middle cover shown in the attached photo, and what exactly does it do? Can you tell me the approximate thickness, as the cover is not very deep? Thanks again - Patrick

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2016 at 09:28 »
I would say that the washer keeps the springs upright. Everything you have seems to be in the correct order so I guess the next move is to find a way of increasing the resistance between the flywheel nut and the outer nut.  Thread Locktite or maybe just plumbers thread tape may be an answer. I cant remember what model I had the problem with but many many years ago I have a recollection of running a very small drill down the thread and putting a section of welding wire in the hole and tightening against it.

regards Alan

Offline oily bloke

« Reply #7 on: 03 Jun 2016 at 16:49 »
Hi,
When I rebuilt my EW I lapped the clutch body onto the crank so that a light tap would lock the clutch body to the shaft. Be careful though as there is precious little meat and it does not take much to lap the clutch too close to the case. Once done you should not have any problems with nuts undoing. If you do either the nut and/or the crank threads need some attention.
Cheers
Andy

motorcycle