Author Topic: 1926 CW Clutch question  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Glenn Mckenzie

1926 CW Clutch question
« on: 16 May 2016 at 11:19 »
Wondering if someone can assist me?
I'm trying to work out what I'm missing if anything with my CW Clutch.
Is there supposed to be a large diameter clearance gap between the Cast Clutch lever and the Crankcase or am I missing a bush?
Also, is there supposed to be a spacer or wear plate protecting the cast lever from wearing into crankcase?
See image

Thanks Glenn

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: 1926 CW Clutch question
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2016 at 03:46 »
Glenn,

Well there does seem to be a significant annular gap in this illustration of the CW clutch:

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=5366.msg19455#msg19455

Nor does there seem to be anything to center it (other than the mating part registering with the flywheel). It does appear to be sitting directly against the face of the crankcase.

-Doug

Offline Alan

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2016 at 00:11 »
Glenn..I am assembling my 24 CW engine and something definitely not right with the components as shown in your pic..
The non moving part of the clutch lever release mechanism ( the part next to the main crankcase body) should be a push on minimal clearance fit onto the crankcase extension that holds the clutch side bearing ( no slop at all) . The small radius in the casting where the extension joins the main crankcase body then prevents this fixed part from touching the main body ( the gap should be about ⅛ in). Hope this helps..

Offline Glenn Mckenzie

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2016 at 04:37 »
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I will have to bush it.
Just a thought, having the non moving part of the clutch lever push back against the small radius doesn't seem right to me. As this part has minimal movement I would have though it would be more solid pushing squarely against the crankcase face? I could be wrong but the sharp internal corner of the fixed lever locating on the small radius on the crank case casting would give very little surface area to push against.

Glenn

Offline Alan

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2016 at 05:01 »
Glenn I've just dug out another clutch assembly and would you know it, looks just like yours ...much more clearance
with the 3 points of adjustment to centralise...no backing plate...sorry about that...

Offline steveale

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2016 at 03:17 »
Interestingly I just received today parts from an auction lot I won.  I wanted the TS cases and gearbox but it looks like the lot had an CW clutch and kicker.  Here are some pictures, looks like the housing has a flange that goes between your bracket and the case from what I see.  However it looks like your cam has 3 set screws.  You see in the first picture that my flange only has 2 set screw slots, much like the one in the link of the other thread with the pics and diagram.  Wonder if there were variations by year?

Since I don't have an CW I'll probably post these items for sale.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2016 at 03:28 by steveale »

Offline Glenn Mckenzie

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2016 at 12:24 »
Thanks for that Steve although I don't see the flange or your cam in the photos you uploaded?
That definitely looks like the spacer I'm missing, I'm definitely interested in purchasing the spacer and the CW kick starter if you want to offload them?
Glenn