Author Topic: unknown manifold and crank assy.  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
unknown manifold and crank assy.
« on: 17 May 2016 at 10:05 »
Hi going thru my 27 600sv and my 29 600sv engine and parts boxes I found this manifold and crank assy. The first photo is the mystery manifold second photo is a 600sv 27/29 manifold for reference. The cranks taper is bigger than the 27/9 flywheels so what's it off ? Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: unknown manifold and crank assy.
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2016 at 17:58 »
Hi Daren,
               With those large dia, narrow big ends, the crank looks like an S6 type - in which case, the main shaft should be 30mm dia and the thread 7/8" x 20 tpi.

Regards,
              Eddie.

Offline oil baron

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2016 at 08:44 »
Hi there

I wonder if your strange longer inlet manifold is off the industrial engine which was based on the E/F 29 600cc S.V. motor as fitted to that model motorcycle.   This industrial unit which was used in such things as pallet trucks etc. manufactured by the Douglas company in the 1930's   What I don't know if over the years there was any modification to the cylinders/heads to aid cooling etc., is it possible that  the company adopted a similar design as used in the Blue Chief/Endeavour where there is the plate between the barrel and the head which carries the actual valve seats.  This was adopted on those models because of the the use the alloy cylinder heads & barrels, having the valve seats on a seperate plate simplified the problem of casting valve seats into the alloy cylinder. May be such a modification was adopted around the same time for the industrial engine to improve maintenance and improve valve seat life when used in a fan cooled application. This maybe could explain differences in the length of the inlet pipe. It would be interesting to find out, maybe the club archivist could have more information on the pre war 600 cc s.v. industrial unit.

Regards

Steve.L

Steve L

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2016 at 06:43 »
Hi It seems to have pressure fed bearings is that S6 if someone needs it I'm happy to swap for 600 27/9 parts Regards Daren

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2016 at 05:05 »
Hi all the manifold and crank assy will be on ebay next week if you need it I will gladly swap other 600 or MK parts for them or cash let me know Regards Daren

motorcycle