Author Topic: mystery gears, industrial truck?  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Doug

• Administrator
mystery gears, industrial truck?
« on: 20 Apr 2016 at 22:25 »
Came across some mystery gears that came in a job lot of auction bits. They all have the Douglas Kingswood trademark, but do not look like any Douglas gearbox gears that I am use to seeing. Three are 12 diametral pitch and one is 10 diametral pitch; which is much coarser than used in the 2-3/4hp 2-speed gearboxes. The two in the center are nearly identical, with twenty teeth; yet one is a 3-dog and the other a 4-dog clutch. Note they also cross-drilled, as if for a roll pin; another reason that makes me think they are for one of the industrial trucks and not motorcycle. Any ideas?

-Doug

Offline Hutch

Re: mystery gears, industrial truck?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2016 at 00:46 »
Hi Doug,
They look a bit like 3 speed 2 3/4 HP , 4 HP gears to me. The 4 dog ones may be approx. 1920 and earlier and the 3 dog ones later. I'll take some pictures of some I have for comparison and post them.

-Ian

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2016 at 17:53 »
Ian,

Maybe. I do not have any experience with the 2-3/4hp 3-speed gears; just EW and onward. I assumed the 3-speed used the same diametral pitch as the 2-speed, but you know what they say about assumptions...

I will have to do some digging through the literature to see if I can even find a picture of the 3-speed bits. There is a illustration in "The Douglas Range" of a CW gearbox with a cutaway showing some of the gears, but not enough to see if it is the same.

-Doug

Online Alan

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2016 at 23:34 »
Doug..some pics of my CW 3 speed gearbox, now back together...might help and the gears are certainly very robust...On a side issue and for UK readers who are convinced that Aus is the wildlife home of everything frightening, my local paper today shows a pic of a lady who went to the 2nd floor toilet in her home to find a 6 ft Diamond Python with its head down the bowl..Better than a laxative. Not that unusual to see these on a run.

Offline Hutch

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2016 at 00:17 »
Doug and Alan,

Alan you beat me too it! :-) Here are some more pictures, the 3 dog ones are CW, the 4 dog ones are G6 3 speed circa 1920. Is the gear on the left in Doug's picture a 4HP 3 speed part number 608D? Clew's "The Best Twin" does list some variations of the 3 speed teeth I seem to remember, but I don't have it with me, so it might not be specifically 4 HP. The cross drilled holes are for lubrication.

-Ian

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2016 at 02:04 »
Well, well, what do you know. Learn something new every day!

-Doug

Offline Hutch

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2016 at 02:12 »
Doug, now all you need to do is find a bike (or 3?)  to go with those gears ! :-)
-Ian

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2016 at 02:27 »
Just what I need, another project!  :roll:

-Doug

Offline carl denton

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2016 at 09:54 »
hi ya

I wish you had not posted the photos of the gears you have found , got me thinking I should inspect the gearbox in my 1915 2 3/4 I am restoring and what do you know got two gears and one selector that has broken teeth and damage to the selector  . one of the gears in your photo is one of the gears I have now got to find or get made . it would suggest that they fitted that style of gearbox to the early 2 3/4 bikes .

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2016 at 13:52 »
Carl,

As I recall the 2-3/4hp gears are a finer diametral pitch (DP). Included is a picture of a 1924 2-3/4hp mainshaft that I refurbished for a client years ago. (New mainshaft, bushed, built up clutch dogs.) The sleeve gear is twenty four tooth versus sixteen, for a gear not much larger in diameter. I did not have to recut any gears, so did not make a note of the DP, just took photos. By the by, other remediation required was the shift gluts were worn, the shift fork pivot corroded, shift fork twisted, the shift fork bushes in the gearcase very worn, mounting thread stripped out. All probably common problems for abused 2-speeders, and all fixable.

If you get into questions about your 2-3/4hp gearbox rebuild, post a new topic and if I did a similar repair I'll add any useful photos of how I tackled the problem.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2019 at 18:09 by Doug »

motorcycle