Author Topic: 2 3/4 oiling sysyem revisited  (Read 2677 times)

Offline runmark

2 3/4 oiling sysyem revisited
« on: 11 Apr 2016 at 19:53 »
Hello,  Since my last post, 2 3/4 oiling system, I have pulled the timing chest cover and found there is no ball or spring behind the pinion screw.  I have not removed the screw, what thread is it, standard right hand or is it left hand.  Air comes out the hole in the screw when turning the engine over but probing with a wire goes in about 4" without resistance.  Anyone know what size the ball and spring are?  Thanks again Mark

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
Re: 2 3/4 oiling sysyem revisited
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2016 at 01:58 »
Mark, the ball I have is 1/4" and the spring is about 4 1/2 working turns of 0.009"  wire (34 British SWG?). See attached picture for approx. dimensions - Ian

Offline kev

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2016 at 11:23 »

I,d like to see a picture of the crank and screw and location of...
does an ew crank have the same system??

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2016 at 02:04 »
Sorry about the slowness in getting around to this. Here is a picture of some 2 3/4 cranks showing the pinion and screw. The thread size of the screw has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but it has a right hand thread. Even a big screwdriver doesn't fit the slot in the screw very well as previous battle scars on them shows. I made up a tool to fit the slot snugly and they undid fairly easily (I seem to remember it was made from an old wood plane blade ground down the same thickness as the width of the slot.....).

-Ian