Author Topic: 1930 T6 brake backing plate  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Bert

1930 T6 brake backing plate
« on: 11 Dec 2015 at 09:11 »
Hello,
I have been using Doug's fine drawings to machine a new axle and replace the rear wheel bearings (tapered rollers)on my T6 which I discovered needed replacing whilst trying to align the rear wheel. I found that I couldn't align the rear wheel as the existing brake hub (exhibit photo one) pressed on the rear frame causing the wheel to skew to the right.
I dug into my spares and found a broken backing plate (same as the front plate - exhibit two) which when roughly fitted appeared to be correct. This is now at the welders hopefully being repaired (very thin alloy).
Can anyone tell me what exhibit one is from and whether exhibit 2 should be on the rear of my T6.
I would also like to know whether there is a specific measurement between the rear brake drum and the frame. I am thinking that it should be whatever exists after aligning the gearbox and rear sprockets as I cant see any way to adjust these two.
I hope all this makes sense to someone.

Offline Bert

Re: 1930 T6 brake backing plate
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2015 at 09:13 »
Exhibit two.

Offline Bert

« Reply #2 on: 04 Jan 2016 at 19:30 »
Ok. This is what I've found.
The non ridged backing plate has been welded and fitted and does not foul on the frame. The correct alignment is guided by two things.  One - the two sprockets lining up and, two - the backing plate not being to far away from the brake arm. If the distance is to far, the lever pulls up on the sliding brass bush when it is tightened and binds. I settled for a .150" spacer between frame and backing plate to achieve the correct distance. I also added a thick o-ring between brass bush and the hole for the brake arm purely as a dirt and water excluder.

I still don't know what model the ridged backing plate is from.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jan 2016 at 19:55 »
I think you'll find that the other brake plate was fitted to the mid 30's machines that had the cast iron finned brake drum.

Eddie.