Author Topic: Gear lever gate for 2 3/4hp  (Read 5831 times)

Offline Lat Fuller

Gear lever gate for 2 3/4hp
« on: 06 Dec 2015 at 00:57 »
Does anyone know where I can obtain a gear gate or diagram, or even a good picture of a gear gate.   My bike came without, and  in the limited literature I have I have been unable to find any sort of reference to this part.   I understand from the workings of the gearbox that this gate holds the gear position ?   Any recommended literature would also be appreciated - all I have is the "Douglas Motors working instructions" but this is very limited.

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
Re: Gear lever gate for 2 3/4hp
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2015 at 01:36 »
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline shuswapkev

« Reply #2 on: 09 Dec 2015 at 08:44 »
I need one as well...I even bought one off steve...wrong one..

a good picture...dimensioned drawing would be greatly appreciated..

Offline Hutch

« Reply #3 on: 09 Dec 2015 at 23:04 »
Hi All,

Not sure if you are after information on the 2 speed or 3 speed 2 3/4 Gate??. Here are the relevant sections out of the ubiquitous 1925 2 3/4 spare parts manual.

The gate, (or rather cast bronze plate?) is part 1301D for the 2 speed. It has 3 indents that hold the box in Low, Free (Neutral) or High. It has some special screws 1302D that hold it to the frame. These can be seen in the ebay ad

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Douglas-Gear-Gate-Special-Stud-bolts-/141848562549?hash=item2106d54b75:g:6r0AAOSwgyxWVYxW

For the 3 speed the arrangement is different. The gate is parts 924D, which screws to the frame with countersunk screws 913D and the a cast top, part 912D. They are held together by bolts 922D and nuts 923D. The "tramming" handle (906D) is different to the 2 speed variety in that it has a spring section in the middle and is longer. The underside of 912D (which you cannot see in the parts manual) has indented sections which hold the gearbox in each gear. To change gear the knob on 906D is pushed down, bending the spring section of the tramming handle and allowing the handle to be rotated to select another gear within the arc of the gate. When the desired position is reached the tramming handle is let go and the handle will be held in place by the indents on the underside of 912D.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful. I will try and get some photos on the weekend of a 2 speed plate and a 3 speed gate and tramming handle.....if I get a chance with the usual xmas rush!

Ian

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2015 at 09:06 »
Yeh Ian, Kev is doing an EW and needs a pattern of the plate that fits on the top of the fuel tank. I had plans of some to be cut but didnt get a reply.

Offline Hutch

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2015 at 23:21 »
Lat, I had a look back through your previous posts and found pictures of your 1917 2 3/4 H.P.(nice bike!). Now I know what you are after for your 3 speed gear selector. I will get a picture of the top part of the gate for you and post it so you will know what to look out for.

Kev and Alan, I can't help out with the dimensions for a EW gate (as I don't have an EW). I will see if I can find them out for you tho' if no one else on the forum can answer this question.......(surely someone can help?)

cheers

Ian

Offline Lat Fuller

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2015 at 00:31 »
Thanks for the help so far.   Much appreciated. I am not sure where you saw a picture of my 1917 Dougie, because I do not remember posting one !  I never thought they were worth looking at, but this is how I found it.   So far I have restored the frame mudguards, wheels and gearbox. Lat

Offline Lat Fuller

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2015 at 00:42 »
Hi Ian
If you do find one and can post it, my address is PO Box 829 Kalamunda 6926.   Thanks again Lat

Offline Hutch

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2015 at 21:51 »
Hi Lat,

I saw the picture of your bike in your post on 18 October 2014 "Douglas 2 3/4 in Western Australia". Same picture as the one you just posted I think? You are lucky that most of it appears to be there! If all I was looking for was a couple of bits like the top of the gear change gate I would be happy ! :-).

If I come across a spare one I will let you know. I'll get a picture of the gate for you later today.

cheers

Ian

Offline Hutch

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2015 at 05:03 »
Hi Lat,
Here are some pictures of the gate. Hope this helps you identify what you need. If you need more info please let me know.

cheers
Ian

Offline Hutch

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2015 at 05:04 »
side view

Offline Hutch

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2015 at 05:07 »
last one, sorry about the quality , hopefully you can see the detail ok

Offline Lat Fuller

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2015 at 22:35 »
Hello Hutch
Thanks very much indeed for the picture.   From this I can make up something to get me going, much appreciated B regards Lat

Offline Hutch

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2015 at 03:50 »
No worries Lat and hope you manage to either find an original gate or can easily make a copy. If you have trouble working out the dimensions of the gate segments let me know and I'll measure the one I have for you,

cheers
Ian

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2015 at 14:05 »
Ian's last image Photoshoped a little to bring out the details:

-Doug

Offline Lat Fuller

« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2015 at 22:01 »
Thanks again Doug.   Don't worry I can work out the dimensions by trial and error ! Best wishes Lat