Douglas - For Sale Items

Douglas 1913 Model P motorcycle

Douglas - Wanted Items

Douglas 1915 3 Spd-Gearbox and Clutch

Quick Comments

Reminders, links to interesting topics, bump your own topic, quick comments or any short message of interest to members. Try it out!
Please note - 500 character current limit

Dave

2024-06-11, 20:02:05
Have you tried the new Drafts feature yet? I just lost a long message today and learned my lesson. It is a good idea to save a draft of any long post you are writing. You can then just keep writing and keep saving a draft, knowing you have a backup if there is a glitch. The draft is automatically deleted when you post the message.

Dave

2024-06-08, 18:30:04
For Sale
xman has two very nice 1950's machines available - a green 1950 mk4 and black 1951 mk5 - both in good condition and running well.

Dave

2024-06-07, 02:13:36

Dave

2024-06-03, 08:23:05
For Sale
Duncan has just listed his green and cream 1957 Dragonfly for sale with spares and documents.

Dave

2024-06-02, 08:34:05
Parts avalable
alistair still has parts available - barrels, carburettor, castings - see all listings.

Dave

2024-06-01, 18:33:27

Dave

2024-05-28, 00:09:46
Welcome to the new site!
Recommended viewing for a fast start...
 - Quick Tour of the Front Page
 - Quick Tour of the new Attachments
Learn all about attaching photos in the User Guide. Any problems with anything please Contact us     Faulty links fixed - 01June2024

Gear lever gate for 2 3/4hp

Started by Lat Fuller, 06 Dec 2015 at 01:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Lat Fuller

Does anyone know where I can obtain a gear gate or diagram, or even a good picture of a gear gate.   My bike came without, and  in the limited literature I have I have been unable to find any sort of reference to this part.   I understand from the workings of the gearbox that this gate holds the gear position ?   Any recommended literature would also be appreciated - all I have is the "Douglas Motors working instructions" but this is very limited.

Daren W Australia

too many dougli not enough time!

kev

I need one as well...I even bought one off steve...wrong one..

a good picture...dimensioned drawing would be greatly appreciated..

Hutch

Hi All,

Not sure if you are after information on the 2 speed or 3 speed 2 3/4 Gate??. Here are the relevant sections out of the ubiquitous 1925 2 3/4 spare parts manual.

The gate, (or rather cast bronze plate?) is part 1301D for the 2 speed. It has 3 indents that hold the box in Low, Free (Neutral) or High. It has some special screws 1302D that hold it to the frame. These can be seen in the ebay ad

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Douglas-Gear-Gate-Special-Stud-bolts-/141848562549?hash=item2106d54b75:g:6r0AAOSwgyxWVYxW

For the 3 speed the arrangement is different. The gate is parts 924D, which screws to the frame with countersunk screws 913D and the a cast top, part 912D. They are held together by bolts 922D and nuts 923D. The "tramming" handle (906D) is different to the 2 speed variety in that it has a spring section in the middle and is longer. The underside of 912D (which you cannot see in the parts manual) has indented sections which hold the gearbox in each gear. To change gear the knob on 906D is pushed down, bending the spring section of the tramming handle and allowing the handle to be rotated to select another gear within the arc of the gate. When the desired position is reached the tramming handle is let go and the handle will be held in place by the indents on the underside of 912D.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful. I will try and get some photos on the weekend of a 2 speed plate and a 3 speed gate and tramming handle.....if I get a chance with the usual xmas rush!

Ian

Alan Cun

Yeh Ian, Kev is doing an EW and needs a pattern of the plate that fits on the top of the fuel tank. I had plans of some to be cut but didnt get a reply.

Hutch

Lat, I had a look back through your previous posts and found pictures of your 1917 2 3/4 H.P.(nice bike!). Now I know what you are after for your 3 speed gear selector. I will get a picture of the top part of the gate for you and post it so you will know what to look out for.

Kev and Alan, I can't help out with the dimensions for a EW gate (as I don't have an EW). I will see if I can find them out for you tho' if no one else on the forum can answer this question.......(surely someone can help?)

cheers

Ian

Lat Fuller

Thanks for the help so far.   Much appreciated. I am not sure where you saw a picture of my 1917 Dougie, because I do not remember posting one !  I never thought they were worth looking at, but this is how I found it.   So far I have restored the frame mudguards, wheels and gearbox. Lat

Lat Fuller

Hi Ian
If you do find one and can post it, my address is PO Box 829 Kalamunda 6926.   Thanks again Lat

Hutch

Hi Lat,

I saw the picture of your bike in your post on 18 October 2014 "Douglas 2 3/4 in Western Australia". Same picture as the one you just posted I think? You are lucky that most of it appears to be there! If all I was looking for was a couple of bits like the top of the gear change gate I would be happy ! :-).

If I come across a spare one I will let you know. I'll get a picture of the gate for you later today.

cheers

Ian

Hutch

Hi Lat,
Here are some pictures of the gate. Hope this helps you identify what you need. If you need more info please let me know.

cheers
Ian

Hutch

side view

Hutch

last one, sorry about the quality , hopefully you can see the detail ok

Lat Fuller

Hello Hutch
Thanks very much indeed for the picture.   From this I can make up something to get me going, much appreciated B regards Lat

Hutch

No worries Lat and hope you manage to either find an original gate or can easily make a copy. If you have trouble working out the dimensions of the gate segments let me know and I'll measure the one I have for you,

cheers
Ian

Doug

Ian's last image Photoshoped a little to bring out the details:

-Doug

Lat Fuller

Thanks again Doug.   Don't worry I can work out the dimensions by trial and error ! Best wishes Lat