Author Topic: Ebay Douglas.  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Hampshirebiker

Ebay Douglas.
« on: 14 Nov 2015 at 19:54 »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1951-DOUGLAS-350cc-BARN-FIND-RESTORATION-PROJECT-WINTER-PROJECT-STORED-33-YEARS-/151883994697?hash=item235cfdd649:g:NkcAAOSwFGNWRehg

I hope the link works. This Douglas advertised does not seem to have the right engine for the frame & claimed date in the ad. The rocker covers look like T35. The full engine number from the photos is10763/5. The gearbox number is also visible.
The item was posted on the C10C11C12 site and I would like to add any detail I can. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.
Thanks, Dave.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Ebay Douglas.
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2015 at 21:30 »
Dave,
          It looks as if it started life as a Mark 5 with matching frame and engine numbers, but sometime in it's life had the heads, barrels and pistons swapped with items from a 1947 T35 Mk 1. Everything else looks to be correct for a Mark 5!
 Regards,
              Eddie.

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2015 at 09:50 »

"THIS IS A GENUINE AND UNMOLESTED BIKE"

Really? How do you get away with statements like this when selling on ebay? To add to Eddie'e comments about head an barrels, you wouldn't reckon that the carbs were too genuine, nor the wiring completely "unmolested".

I know little about Douglases of this period, but I also wonder about stuff like the handlebar controls.

Cheers

Leon

Offline Hampshirebiker

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2015 at 09:57 »
Thanks to Eddie & I couldn't agree more with Leon. That's the way Ebay ads for classic stuff seem to be going these days. The term "barn find" is also getting rather tiresome.
Just to clarify. I'm not blaming Ebay in any way.

Offline roy

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2015 at 19:52 »
Hi All,

Have sent the vendor a request for information on how-come the machine is advertised as "unmolested" but has different barrels ect. as yet no reply.

Roy.