Author Topic: Without doubt the best 90 Plus in the world....  (Read 5599 times)

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
Without doubt the best 90 Plus in the world....
« on: 20 Dec 2016 at 21:46 »

I spotted this on the interweb a while back. http://www.prewarcar.com/postwarclassic/classifieds/ad207261.html The claims made for it are pretty dramatic:

"...All fittings on this 90 plus model are to exact factory specs. From the encrypted Bowden levers to the Lodge bakelite plug caps ! it is fitted with the rare and correct 'plus 'series steel tank, genuine handed Amal 276 carbs, special close ratio gearbox 90/222, Smiths Chronometric Rev.Counter, etc. Without doubt the best 90 plus in the world...."

To my non-expert eye it looks very attractive - to look at, not to buy! So come on experts, here's a Christmas challenge for you: Is the bike to EXACT factory spec?

Or is there another question: Was there an exact spec for a 90 Plus, or was there a bit of variation from bike to bike?

Cheers

Leon

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Without doubt the best 90 Plus in the world....
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2016 at 10:06 »
It looks pretty good to me! The only thing that looks a bit odd is the exhaust system - it looks as if the pipes have been swapped over (one bend is ahead of the other) and the silencers look to be repro (the domed ends aren't quite right), but it does have the correct black stand and headlight!
  As to whether there is a 'correct spec' for a Plus is anybody's guess! I very much doubt that the original batch that was rushed out so that the bikes could qualify as 'production racers' for the IOM races would have had exactly the same spec as later machines. In any case, they were being produced in a vain attempt to be competitive with the BSA's and Nortons, and so would have been updated as improved parts became available - hence the number 1, 2 and 3 camshafts, and Eddy Withers attempts at improving their reliability. The fact that most of the printed literature on the Pluses was in the form of duplicated sheets - it would seem that the spec was being updated at a faster rate than they could produce the books!

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline oil baron

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2016 at 18:10 »
Here is my twopenny worth -  I not sure about the regulator mounting, I am sure my Ninety Plus was not mounted like that,  from memory of 40 odd years ago I thought the regulator was mounted on lugs welded to the rear tank support.  The Saddle cover looks definitely not standard. What about the rims, they are definitely not original Dunlops, more like akront or borrani, no little  bead at the outside top of the flange as per the original Dunlops. I agree with Eddie about the pipes & silencers and one other thing, originally was there not a plastic/rubber beading around the front number plate. I remember the new one I brought from Greame Brown in the 1960's certainly had it.  It may be an optical illusion but is the tachometer cable run in a strange manner, I know it has a handlebar mounted instrument, but still. Having picked holes in a nice motorcycle, does it qualify for the best 90+ probably not.  May I wish one and all a good Christmas & New Year
Cheers   SteveL
Steve L

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2016 at 15:45 »
Indeed, this 90+ is in a good original condition.
Yes, the regulator box is not placed perfectly, the saddle is a replica (spring brackets wrong, front fixing bolt modified), no chrome saddle springs, tail light wrong, rear mudguard too short at the end?

There were several specifications to order a 90+ at the factory, so there are several possibilities to have such a bike.
You will find more 90pluses in a not so good condition, but I would be more carefull with "the best 90+ in the world".

Michael

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2016 at 10:59 »
I had noticed the rims that didn't look absolutely right to me - a bit more Bultaco than Douglas? Of the things mentioned, I'd rate correct rims as one area for improvement. I remember being fascinated by an article about the correct alloy rims for an LE Velocette (were they Palmer?) where the weld was in view for all to see. Here's another interesting read about the very beginnings of alloy rims in 1934-35. http://velobanjogent.blogspot.com.au/2008/11/prewar-alloy-front-motorcycle-wheel.html

Re the 90+, it may not be the best ever seen, but it is rather nice.

Cheers

Leon

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2016 at 22:11 »
Yes indeed it is very nice - I wouldn't mind having it in the garage! I think we need to excuse the rims, I imagine the original Dunlops would be near to impossible to find these days

Offline 90plus

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2016 at 16:37 »
Hi there,

I have just posted my two postwar Douggies at this forum.

Here are some answers to the previous postings .

The rims fitted at present are indeed Akront Alloy rims.......the original Dunlop steel chromium rims are present .....
The Saddle has been recovered , to Lycett Specs.
Silencers are from Armours , not 100% exact to Burgess specs....but the closest at present.
The rev.counter is mounted to the handlebar.... ( original factory 90 + pictures, confirm this mounting position and mounting by a special handlebar bracket )
The MCR2 Lucas regulator is mounted at an angle .......sharp eye.......it should be mounted the same way as my 1954 Mark V.....can be corrected very easily  !

Bert
the Netherlands
1951 90plus
1954 Mark V

Offline 90plus

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2016 at 09:46 »
I have just had a close look at a Douglas 90 Plus works picture ( road trim version ),

And you can clearly see the regulator is attached by a bracket which is positioned at an angle.
So this is correct for a 90 + in road trim.

Furthermore, no grey rubber band at the front license plate for a 90 +............

Saddle springs , could be chromium plated, but also sprayed in black ( factory sales brochure pictures confirm this )

On my 90 plus the front saddle attachement is indeed lifted by a small bracket. Otherwise the single saddle cannot be mounted with this special steel ' Plus ' tank.
Factory pictures from Douglas 90 plus works bike ( with special steel ' plus ' tank ) , confirm this necessary alteration , the longer racing saddles were also lifted a bit .... )

« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2016 at 09:59 by 90plus »
the Netherlands
1951 90plus
1954 Mark V